Part 55: Homeward Bound

"I don't know about this, Ian."

I looked at Zuri, my newfound sister. "The Wolf Spirit said to bring you home. This is home."

"But your mother, she can't like me," she said softly. "I was born to a witch."

"But born to an alpha wolf," Dar reminded, holding her hand.

"You are," I agreed, holding her other hand. "You're my sister. Welcome home."

I looked at my mate, my darling Amber, in the seat in front of me. She was smiling ear to ear. I'd never seen her so happy, but I didn't miss that glint of mischief in her eye. My father, the Grand Counselor of Wolf Nation, claimed to be as right and principled as the first generation of wolves. This wasn't so, and she wanted to see his reaction to the living, breathing and beautiful proof of his lies.

A look of panic crossed Zuri's features as we crossed the bridge.

"You are in a circle of protection, sister," Vida said softly from her seat next to Amber.

"No one is going to hurt you, I promise," Cole said, his voice particularly low. He looked determined, almost angry.

We parked the SUV, and got out. We must have looked formidable, because the palace guards came toward us. I took Zuri's hand, and Amber grabbed the other.

"Is there a problem?" I asked.

Recognizing me, they parted ways.

"Where is my father?"

"In the study."

"Perfect."

I led the entire group down to our archives. Most had heard of this place, and had not been in it. Well, that was going to change.

"Ian, what are--"

"Father." I wanted to hit him.

"Who is--" his expression changed as he locked eyes with Zuri, who was shaking and teary-eyed. He rose from his seat, and took off his glasses, setting them on the book he was reading.

"This is Zuri," I ground out. "She is my sister. She is your daughter." I waited. "Say something!"

"Sorry isn't enough," He said softly. "I don't know what else to say to you."

"Aaron, I heard Ian's home--" my mother's voice died as we turned to her. She slowly made her way to my father, looking as if she'd seen a ghost as she laid eyes on Zuri. "Oh, my Goddess. It's--it's her, isn't it?"

"Yes." Father said.

"She has as much right to be here as I do," I told them. "And if she doesn't, neither do I."

"Ian!" Mom gasped. "Ian, you don't know what you're saying!"

"For years, I felt lonely, for years, and I thought it was because I was an only child. I wasn't!" I fumed. "Did you know we both share an affinity for plants? Her favorite?
Gardenias, Mom, gardenias!" I looked into my sister's eyes. "We've been part of each other and we didn't even know it!"

"Ian--"

"Be mad at him for having an affair, but to punish an innocent child?" I shook my head. "I feel like I don't know either of you." I took a deep breath. "Get a grip, the both of you. In the mean time I need to know where the stone is."

"What stone?"

I turned to my sister. "Zuri?" Her eyes were wide. "Zuri, is it here?"

She nodded. "It's upstairs."

"What?" I squeezed her hand. "Show us."

"Ian!"

I raised a hand and turned away. Zuri led us up the steps to the artifact room.

She went back up the steps and found the sarcophagus

She went back up the steps and found the sarcophagus. She started trying to open it, but couldn't.

"Wait, sweetheart," Dar said, stepping forward. He and Cole moved the heavy lid aside. The inside was empty, but had carvings and symbols inside.

Zuri stepped forward and ran her hands over the carved symbols. "Dar?"

"I'm here, honey," he stepped directly behind her. I stood at her right and Amber took her left.

She shakily stepped inside the sarcophagus. Dar put his hand on her lower back, Amber and I on her shoulders. She took a deep breath and put her hand on the symbol for earth. It opened, and she reached inside for the stone. It was already glowing.

"Oh my Goddess." I heard my mother say.

Zuri turned with it in her hands. "We come from the earth. Water makes us whole. We breathe in life's wind to bring fire to our souls." She looked up at us. Her eyes were green. She offered the stone to Amber, and she took it. Dar was right there for her to lean on. She looked weak or faint, we weren't sure which she was.

"She--"

"Father, don't." I said quickly. "We are doing as we are told."

"Are we staying?" Zuri asked.

"No," I said, and turned to my parents. We will give you a chance to embrace truths come to light. When we return, we expect you to act accordingly."

"We packed food and water in the car," Vida said. "We can get to the plane and be back tonight."

"Perfect."

On the plane, we were all pretty quiet. A lot had happened in the last twenty four hours.

"So, we have two stones, now," Vida thought aloud. "Are you going to use them on Jaeger?"

"Yes," Amber said. "But--"

Suddenly our phones went off. We looked at the texts at the same time. The code read 9-1-1.

"Well, that's new," Amber muttered. "I have never been called for help."

"Me neither," I told her.

We both clicked and read:

Attempted takeover of Kincaid Territories. Vampires for and against. Come quickly.

"Sounds time sensitive," I said to Amber. "What do we do?"

"We pick up my brother and his mate, notify our packs that we may have an impending battle on our hands east of the Mississippi." Amber said quickly.

"Is he in any condition--"

"To be away from me?" Amber said, her gaze intense. "I think not. We take my brother with us. Then, we rondevous with Kyros Kincaid."

Thank you for reading this book! Thanks for your patience while I had to deal with things! If you haven't read "Hunter's Daughter, Alpha's Mate," I strongly suggest it. To a degree this story ends in the last chapter of that one, and then there will be a book that takes us on the hunt for the Wolf Stone shards! Thanks again, hope to hear from you, and as always, Wisdom and Wellness to you!