Part 2: Roles

I know it seems like a slow start, but one must lay groundwork! I love the look of our guy, though, don't you?

IAN POV

"You're really not going to mark me are you, Ian?"

I looked at the pretty brunette put on her underwear. "This is the last time, really." I sighed, looking at Gina as she dressed. "Really."

"Because I'm not your mate?" she asked. I just looked at her; she knew that was why. "It's just that-" Gina's face fell in a girlish way I knew was rehearsed. "We are sooo good together, you know--"

"But you're not my mate," I told her sadly. "I'd know if you were, and so would you, you know?" Though Gina was really attractive, I didn't feel the intense pull I'd been told about. I looked at her tearful face and caressed her cheek.

"What if the one meant for you died?"

"I don't know, and I don't think that's the case," I exhaled heavily. "Either way, this spring equinox event my father's setting up will enable wolves to find their mates without going on properties."

"So?"

"My mate may be there," I reasoned softly. "Yours, too."

Gina's eyes welled up. She pulled on her jeans in jerky motions, a sign of being upset. "Gina? Come on, don't be like that!"

"Yeah, okay, sure."

I felt a loss, but she knew-she knew! I got up and pulled her into my arms. She melted into me as always and I just held her. I was really going to miss spending time with her. I really was going to miss her, but I wanted my mate. My father said there was nothing like it. My mother agreed It was also tradition and as nature-the Moon Goddess-intended. I kissed her forehead, and she looked up at me. I kissed her one more time.

"I gotta get going," I whispered. "Dad's waiting."

She nodded in understanding, as she always did, but this time there were tears in her eyes. I managed a smile and she did, too. She turned and left, purposely not looking back. I almost wanted her to, I understood.

I picked up my t-shirt and pulled it over my head, looking in the mirror. So much had changed since I had come of age at times it was still hard to get used to. It started at seventeen years of age, and suddenly, muscles everywhere and sharpened senses. I traded my books and studies for athletic and aggressive activities without really noticing it. By the time I'd turned twenty-five,  the gold in my hazel eyes became more prominent.

Gold...

Ah, the girl in the garden. I'd never seen her again, but time to time I thought of her. She ran and jumped like the boys and was mischievous, I could tell. I would have liked to see her again. She made me laugh. I wondered what her mate would be like-probably an alpha or beta. She seemed like a handful, especially when I compared her to my mother, who was softspoken and quiet.

I went to the main hall of our estate, and found my father in his office:

"Good morning," He said, looking at me over his reading glasses.

"Good morning," I echoed. "So what's going on?"

"This equinox event is...really massive," he nodded, looking at floor plans of the house and property.

"So why did you decide to invite the packs here this year?" I asked.

"Too many wolves haven't found their mates, including you," he said.

"Goddess forbid the son of the High Counselor be single!" I joked. My father's eyes raised to me, and I realized he didn't see any humor in it. "I'm twenty-five, there's time."