Part 3: Arrival

As an eligible female, alpha or not, I was forced to go. When threatened with not having any of my eligible women admitted to the event, I knew there was nothing I could do. I wanted my people happy, and this meant going.

But I didn't have to go to every little activity or event. I consented to coming and making an appearance; as long as I was on the property, I decided that I had kept my word. I sent Mattie and her mate Zach ahead to make preparations for our arrival, limiting my contact with others. I would arrive with my people. They both felt I was putting off the inevitable, but respected my wishes, bless them both.

And I couldn't have been prouder. I led my caravan on my three wheel, but asked one of the families to bring my lighter bike along. We all had banners of gold, blue, brown and green on our vehicles as a representation of Terra Prima, a flag created by our school children.

 We all had banners of gold, blue, brown and green on our vehicles as a representation of Terra Prima, a flag created by our school children

Mattie and Zach were waiting when I arrived. They had someone with them. He was a big guy. I got off the bike and hugged my beta and her mate.

"Alpha Amber, this is Cole, the Wisdom pack beta," Mattie introduced.

I gave him a curt nod. He was here to size me up. He was a big guy with long dark wavy hair. He looked me over, his mouth in a full but firm line, his blue eyes regarding me coldly.

"So where do we go?" I asked.

"There's been a change."

I frowned at Zach. "What?"

Cole finally spoke. "High Counselor Aaron wants you to stay at the house." 

I looked at my people behind me, all waiting to see what I would do, what I would say. I took a cleansing breath, turning back, thankful only Mattie, Zach and Cole saw my face. I made sure my anger and displeasure showed as I locked eyes with Cole, who gave a small smile. "What...an honor!" I said loud enough for all to hear. I then realized that inside the house meant my scent may not be picked up by other packs, less of a chance of detection. My smile turned devious and Cole frowned. Good! I turned to Mattie and Zach. "So, would you do me the honor of staying in the cabin they told me I was assigned to, then? Get them settled in?"

Mattie looked at me. She saw that this was not going to be up for discussion. One of us should be there to watch over the pack members. "Yes, of course."

"Alright, I guess I'll pick my room inside." I began to move.

Cole raised an arm to slow me, his hand on my shoulder. "They have--"

I looked at him, and tilted my head the side. He touched me! I let a small growl vibrate in my throat, and let my eyes turn gold. He withdrew, realizing he'd overstepped, and I was putting him in his place. "I will pick the room closest to my people, where I can see them, watch over them, and be there if needed." I said simply. "There is no other space in this place for me." 

Cole was annoyed. He bowed his head. "I will tell them."

"Thank you, Beta Cole." I put two fingers under his chin so he would raise his eyes to me. "You do your Alpha and pack proud." I watched his cheeks color, a storm in his blue eyes. "Will you get my things, park my bike? I appreciate that so! Keys in the ignition!" I let my duster trail behind me like a royal cape as I ascended the steps.