Part 51: Walk with Me

We started on the path away from the house. Again, my throat constricted. Papa and I used to take walks like this all the time when I was a kid.

"So." Dad began, and then sighed.

"So?" I repeated.

"How's Mattie?" He put his hands behind his back. "I heard she is expecting."

"Really well, actually," I told him. "Her husband has been her right hand since she found out. I am happy she has a good, strong, understanding mate who--"

"Do you?"

"What?"

"Have a good, strong, understanding mate?" When I didn't answer right away, he went on. "I always wanted you happy, Ki-Amber."

"We are happy," I nodded. "I never thought I would be again."

"I'm sorry."

My breath caught. "Sorry for what?"

"So much, Kia."

I felt like I was going to cry. He hadn't called me that in years. "Dad, it's--"

He squeezed my hand. "I've got to get this out." We stopped at the gazebo that overlooked the estate. "I knew you were an Alpha--" he closed his eyes for an instant, and corrected himself. "Alphina. Anyone who met you knew you had the tendencies and traits, but I was so afraid for you. Males were predators, and when you were young, you were hard to protect. And then Jaeger--"

I hugged him. "I miss him too...so much."

"But I think he's alive, Amber."

"You do, too?!"

"Please tell me that the reason Dar and Zuri aren't here is because they are looking for him in the mansion."

I gasped. "How did you know?"

He tapped my nose lightly, playfully. "Because I know my girl." He frowned. "The house--the stone--is protected."

"Yes!" I laughed.

He shook his head. "I knew you could be an alpha, Alphina, whatever-" he rolled his eyes to the heavens. "but I was afraid of the opposition. I heard talk of my own conspiring to overtake you and all I could do was be quiet, withdraw from them. I'm sorry, Kia, after losing Jaeger, I was so afraid of losing you. I pushed you out to keep you safe."

And then it happened. I began to cry.

"I don't regret anything," he said quickly. "I gave you Makya Mountain, but I never dreamed you'd grow the territory like you did. The council came to me with petty complaints, I had to make concessions--"

"Concessions?" I repeated. "They were punishing you?"

"Because I wouldn't take Makya Mountain, your Terra Prima, from you."

"I thought you were talking to them about me, but not, not like that." I felt awful. "Aw, Dad, why didn't you come to me? We could have faced them together!"

He shook his head. "I had to protect you. And the angrier you got, it wasn't hard to believe you were bucking against me and didn't have my support. But you did, everyday."

I put my head on his chest, listening to his heart. His arms closed around me. "Dad."

"And now, now you have a mate-a strong mate-an alpha who can strengthen you--"

"I can protect myself!"

"But unified, the council will have no choice but to respect you and leave you in peace."

I sighed. "It's all I ever wanted. They just..." I sighed again.

"Kia," He stroked my hair, whispering into it. "Amber." He sighed. "I kept you safe, but now I've created a monster."

"Jiro," I exhaled. "Now you believe me about him?"

"Yes," he whispered sadly. "I didn't want to, but I had a dream about your mother during the last full moon. It was her, I swear to the Goddess, it was. She told me things, warned me, said we were in danger--"

I looked up at him. He looked so sad. "Don't worry, Dad. I'll protect you." I framed his face with my hands. "And we will find Jaeger. We'll be a family again."