Part 47: Coming Home

"Come with me."

I had never heard that tone from Amber before.

"Zuri?"

I followed my alpha obediently.

She took my hand. "I just want to talk-" She looked around. "But not here, okay?"

I relaxed a little as she led me back to the SUV. We all piled in, but this time, Amber did not ride in front. She gave a small nod to Vida, who slipped in the front seat this time. Mattie slid in next to me, and I felt in the middle of everything when I saw Zach slide in behind, leaning forward.

When the last car door closed and the engine started, Amber turned to me. "Explain."

That one word changed the atmosphere in the car. Cole looked in the rear view mirror. Now this whole conversation was of interest.

"When I was in the dungeons, I wasn't the only prisoner," I said softly. "There was a man. I saw him one of the times I tried to escape. It was brief, but I saw his necklace. It looked like yours."

Amber swallowed hard. Tears formed in her eyes. "Was he...alive?"

"He was, I'm sure of it, but it looked like he was in a coma or something."

Amber's eyes lit. "Coma?" She pulled out her phone, and hit the pictures application. "Is this him?"

I frowned at the picture. "This guy looks healthy and muscular--"

"Could it be him?" She tapped and closed in on the face.

I closed in on the eyes. Even though the eyes were open in the picture, I knew those eyes. "That looks like him, but he was...unconscious and much thinner and --"

Amber began to shake. Her whole body trembled, her eyes wide. "Mattie...?"

"This is Jaeger, Zuri," Mattie said urgently. "This is Amber's twin brother." She paused. "He's alive?"

"My father can't know that!" Amber shook her head. "He wouldn't be party to that!"

I became frightened as I watched Amber's tears fall. "The way in was hidden, he may not." I watched her think.

"We have to find out," Amber growled. "We have to find out for sure."

"We must get in," Mattie frowned. "We need time to be there, to search--"

"Don't you still have access?" Cole asked Amber.

"I don't know."

"Looks like it's time to find out."