Part 54: Again

Even with Papa, Gina and me, Jaeger was so weak. Zuri was resting. She actually was using her power to help heal him in small doses. Dar wouldn't allow much out of fear it would hurt their baby. I was desperate. I was afraid.

"What is it?" Ian interrupted my thoughts. "Come you must eat."

"I--" I looked at him and rose from my seat. I kissed Jaeger's forehead. Sleep came and went for him a lot, and I feared he may not wake. "I have an idea." I followed Jaeger from the room. "I need to go back. We all do."

"We?" Ian asked. I stepped in front of him and went to Dar and Zuri's room.

I knocked.

"Come in, Amber."

We entered the bedroom to find Zuri and Dar both in bed resting. Of course, Dar was protectively curled around her. As big and muscular as he was, he looked so vulnerable because of how he held her. They were truly the sight of a wolf and his mate in love, and I couldn't help but smile.

"We are going home, aren't we?" she asked.

Dar shook his head. "I don't know if this will make a difference--"

"I believe it can," I told them. "Much has changed since we last tried."

"Last tried?" Ian repeated. "We are going to get the water stone, aren't we?"

"Water is life, Ian," Zuri said softly. "If we can tap the stone's power, we can help Jaeger, and if we can find more stones, we can restore him completely, shorten his recovery."

***********

By sunset we were gathered around the fountain again, waiting for the moon.

I was nervous.

"Well?" Ian asked. He was clearly agitated.

"Calm down, Ian," Zuri whispered, lightly touching her womb. "We're fine, we're--"

I handed the stone to Dar. He seemed to be the one the spirits talked through. I waited.

"Dar?"

"He is here." Dar's voice changed. "And greetings, Kiana Amber, I see you have finally joined the circle."

I didn't know what to say to that.

"The last time you summoned me, you were not one with yourself," the spirit went on. "You are Alphina, yes. You are daughter, yes. You are sister, yes. You will be a mother, yes. And now you are ready to be the protector. You know the secret to the stones as well as the secret to life itself. It is balance."

"Where are the other stones?" Zuri asked.

"There are maps." the spirit said simply. "One is across the water, one is sinking but held by enemy teeth, and one is in the hands of the wise."

Ian gasped.

Dar's head turned. "Yes, wise one. There are more secrets in Wisdom. Your sister can help. She is the bridge between worlds, and can feel them. Take her home." Dar's head turned again. "Woman, you take the stones to your brother, put them on his heart, all stand round him, and I will come."