Part 19: Face to Face

"IAN!"

Ian and I both rose to a sitting position, startled.

"IAN!"

"That's--"

"That's Zuri," Ian growled. "She's scared." Before I could say anything, he hopped out of bed barefoot and barechested in sleep pants. For a second I thought he was going to change. I scooted out of bed and ran after him.

He threw Zuri's bedroom door open. She was sitting up in bed wild and wide-eyed, clutching the sheets to her chest. "He's here!"

"Who?"

I took a deep breath. Oh, no.  I knew that scent.

"M-my mate," she breathed.

Suddenly, we heard scuffling and sounds of fighting downstairs. There was no time to change. Ian grabbed Zuri by the wrist, and I followed. I didn't like this. Ian was terribly possessive of this Zuri, like she was his. I said nothing, trying to deal with the fact that Zuri may have just simply triggered Ian's protective instincts. It was easier than facing the truth that I was a little jealous.

We got to pools. Across the water we could see six guards were holding someone to the ground.  Cole had his knee in his back, and Zach was instructing the guards on how to keep him subdued. The intruder struggled just enough to turn in our direction and show his face.

It was Dar. I really didn't want to deal with this.

"Zuri?" his baritone voice was a breath, his blue eyes raising to look at us across the way. Duri stepped forward, and knelt, looking at him. She looked so sad, so heartbroken, so conflicted. "Zuri!" He struggled harder, and the men had to really press.

"Wow," Vida was wide-eyed as she stepped to my side. "The Great Dar."

Cole quirked a an eyebrow at that, and put his hand on the back of Dar's neck, pressing his knee harder and making his captive groan. "Don't move, or I'll kill you!"

  "You're hurting him!" Zuri turned to us tearfully. "Stop...Dar, stop it!"

Dar locked eyes with her, and relented, only using strength to keep eye contact with her.

"Dar is your mate?" I figured it out, but I needed to hear Zuri say it.

Zuri blinked and her tears fell. "Yes," she nodded. "But he does not want me--"

"Not want you?!" Dar struggled again. "I came here for you! Zuri!"

"Stop, you're hurting him!" Zuri cried, clutching her chest.

"Zuri!" He gasped, trying to breathe.

Cole tightened his hold, dug deeper. He was almost smiling.

"STOP!"

Suddenly, Cole somersaulted into the pool, and not on his own. No one touched him. No one pushed him.  He came up, sputtering, and slicked his long hair back so he could see.  He didn't know what to do or where to go. And the rest of us were just as shocked. Zuri's eyes were wide as she clapped her hand over her mouth.

"Zuri, calm down, honey." Dar rose slowly, and the guards backed away from him. He dusted himself off. "Zuri, I'm okay." He put up his hands in a gesture of defenselessness, and walked one of the pathways between pools. He extended his hand. "Zuri, come here."

She shook her head slowly, but I could see the conflict in her eyes.

"Everybody inside!" Ian ordered. "Everyone inside...now!"

I turned to go and saw the guards do the same.  Cole got out of the water on our side, his eyes regarding Zuri coldly. She had done that to him, there was no doubt.  Vida looked scared and concerned, backing away from Zuri, and Zuri bowed her head. Ian and I were the only ones who seemed to dare to stand by her.

Dar's arm was still extended. "Zuri, come here, you'll be safe with me, I promise--"

"Like hell," Ian steered her away. "Let's go."

"Please, let me hold her, she'll be okay."

It was weird to hear Dar like this. He was almost begging. The Dar I knew was almost cocky, unphased by anything. His jaw tightened and twitched. I knew him well enough to know he was getting more dangerous. I radioed ahead for security to meet us at the door of my office.

Mattie was there waiting.

"You don't have to be here," Zach nodded.

Mattie's look was determined. "I am here for Amber."

Ian gave me a look. He'd figure things out soon. He'd realize that Dar and I had a past.