Chapter 43 - Remembering

I flinch back bringing my hands up expecting Kyle's face, or Meredith's to greet me but I find something that is maybe even worse, a demon I don't recognize.

I assumed that everyone I saw while I was in the cell-like room was a demon. Some of them I could tell they were, but the people that I couldn't tell were demons, I assumed to be the ones that Kyle created. He had a mixture under his control, and the person in front of me now is one of the regular demons. I scream at him as I back away.

"Just leave me the fuck alone! Kyle, just tell me what you want from me already?!" I scream, tears starting to fall. I'm sick and tired of everything he's putting me through. I can feel my whole body shaking as I back away. My mind gets glimpses of me after being electrocuted, jitters from the electricity still running through my body. The image and feeling of myself shaking, makes my shaking intensify. I pick up the closest thing in reach and hold it out on front of me as a weapon, telling him to not come any closer. I quickly glance down at it, seeing a hardback book, before returning my gaze back to the threat. If I needed to use it, it's nice to know that it could deal some damage, more than a paperback.

I'm tired, hungry, and fed up so I don't know how many more times I can try to escape. The different room confuses me, but I guess that Kyle has a different attack method, trying to lull me into a false sense of security. I keep backing up until I walk into the wall. The demon hasn't moved since he opened the door, but he now steps into the room closely followed by two more. The door closes behind them, with a loud slam that seems to echo around the room. The sound makes me feel like it is a period at the end of a sentence, something marking finality.

I slide down the wall, still clutching onto the book, which I see as my only way of getting through this. Books are powerful objects. My mental and physical state is the same: backed into a wall unable to see a way out of this situation. I've probably used more tears in however long I have been on Earth, than I have in my entire lifetime beforehand.

"Please. Someone help!" I sob, but feel like it's not being heard. I feel the most alone I have in my life.

I bring my legs closer, getting flashbacks of when I was trying to find Reid and I first learnt about Kyle's abilities. Where is he? Is he OK? Did Kyle hurt them? I feel my gut wrench when the thought crosses my mind.

Simultaneously the demons open their mouths, and speak.

"Now you saw what happens if you go against me, or don't do as I say. It won't happen again, if you agree to meet me and talk. To show you I truly mean it, I'll even leave you alone for a week. After that week, I will contact you again, and give you the details of the meeting. No messing around, no tricks. Just us both talking." The demons all say in Kyle's voice. "If you don't agree then I promise it will only get worse, ending up in a real death." My brain doesn't register anything he says, other than getting this all to stop. Maybe that period was more a symbol of a new start. My voice quivers as I respond.

"Fine." The demons all nod in a pleased way, and move to the side. I gulp watching them carefully. The door opens again and my dad and Reid come rushing in.

I breathe a sigh of relief, when I realize that we did escape. They were able to get out! Kyle must have got away; he wouldn't dare contact me saying he'll meet me if my dad had him. I wait for them to notice the demons, but I realize that I am the only one who can see them. Reid rushes to me on the floor and gets down in front of me. His hands go to my cheeks, causing my eyes to move to where the demons were but see they have disappeared. I drop the book and let out a sob as I move towards Reid, his strong arms coming around me and pulling me close to his chest.

"What happened?" my dad asks.

"I- uh- I woke up and freaked out. How long did Kyle have me?" I tell them quietly, embarrassed.