Chapter 31 - 'Appetizers'

Forty five minutes later the appetizers, which we ordered forty minutes ago, still haven't arrived. After ordering our drinks we started to get to know each other again. About twenty minutes into us talking Reid took his grey suit jacket off, rolling up his burgundy dress shirt sleeves baring his tan tattooed arms. I haven't really learnt anything more about Reid, than I already knew. As the time went on Reid was getting more agitated that we haven't got our appetizers. I wasn't too fussed, but I did think it was weird that the wait was so long, when our drinks came almost instantly.

"The service here is usually better." Reid tells me annoyance tainting his tone.

"I'm sure it will be out any minute."

"Hm." Reid grumbles, I guess he's used to being treated respectfully. I tuck a strand of hair, having fallen from the style I put it up into, behind my ear. Movement out of the corner of my eye catches my attention. I look up and see a woman walking towards our table, two plates in her hands. I turn back to Reid, with a smile on my lips.

"Told you." I tell him, motioning towards the waitress walking towards us. He looks up, his ice blues eyes narrowing.

"What happened to our waiter?" He notices.

"His shift ended?" I suggest, noticing it also. The waitress arrives at our table, putting the exquisitely presented plates down with a profuse apology.

"I'm so sorry for the wait."

"Why was there one?" Reid confronts her. She stutters, looking around.

"Th-The kitchen was busy." She lets us know.

"I should be a priority. The owner and I have an agreement." He tells her, looking down to his plate, dismissing her.

"Yes, I'm sorry Mr Brice." She apologises, before turning around and walking quickly away. I raise my eyebrow at Reid as I pick up my fork.

"What kind of deal?"

"The kind of deal in which he owes me money, and instead of me killing him, he allows me free meals here with special treatment." He lets me know with a wink. I chuckle as I take a forkful of my appetizer. I can tell why he would want to keep coming back here; the lobster salad I ordered is well seasoned and tastes so fresh and lush.

"Mm, never kill the owner." I tell him. "It would be a waste."

"I'll keep that in mind." He says with a laugh, picking one of his garlic mushroom bruschetta's, he ordered, up taking a bite.

"Nice?" I ask him, taking another bite of my lobster salad.

"Yes. Want some?" He asks extending the bitten piece of bread to me.

"Sure." I tell him, swallowing the lobster salad, leaning over the table to where Reid is sitting, and take a bite out of the bread he is offering me. The slimy texture of the mushroom touches my senses before the salty, cheesy taste does. I let out a contented noise, as I chew it before swallowing.

"Yeah, definitely don't kill the owner." I tell him. He watches me with a smile.

"For you, I would do anything." He announces, as if coming to a conclusion. I bite my lip looking back down at my food. This date has been even better than the one I had with him at the beach, I didn't think that was possible. It's made my decision even harder, I haven't even had a date with Hunter to tell the difference but I feel like Reid is back to his normal self, and our relationship is slowly going back to the way it was. I have a different relationship with Hunter; however is it more of a friendship? I know that Reid and I's relationship is known to work, and I am in the unknown with Hunter's relationship, so I'm playing it safe with Reid. I've had enough of the unknown this year to fill my quota, with Kyle.

I listen to the sounds around me as we finish our appetizers. I hear every chew, which quickly gets on my nerves. I try and focus on something to stop the sound annoying me further. I focus on an argument between a couple. They were fighting over who to invite to their wedding. I move onto another table where there is a family enjoying their dinner, talking about what they will be doing tomorrow on their next day of the vacation. The sound of multiple sirens in the distance also hit my ears. I turn back to Reid, finishing my appetizer. As I put my fork on my plate, I notice that the sirens are continuing our way. Reid, having finished his bruschetta before me, has also started to notice them. His hand is tensed on the tabletop, his eyes watching the door.

"Everything okay?" I ask.

"I'm not sure. We'll see." He remarks, moving his eyes from the door to me, repeatedly. "Was I right, will you be coming back for seconds?" Reid asks with a small smile gracing his lips. I return it.

"I think that if the date continues as it has, then yes, I will be." I tell him, deciding to see where our relationship goes. It's not like I'm committing to being with him for the rest of my life, so if it does go badly then I know that he's not right for me. That's my decision.

The sirens continue to grow closer, as the waitress takes our plates. I watch her behaviour curiously. Her body is facing away for Reid and I, and her eyes don't look at us as she clears the plates. She seems more relaxed every second. I look at Reid and see that he's looking down at his phone. I hear the sirens turn onto our street, and then I realise that our fears are true. The cop cars are heading for the restaurant. As soon as the waitress has the plate off the table she almost runs back the way she came.

"Reid, the cops..." I start but Reid cuts me off.

"I know." He tells me. "We need to get out of here. I have someone on the police force who will delay them from coming in."

I finish my drink, and gather my belongings. I move out of the booth, quickly followed by Reid. He grabs his suit jacket, and follows me through the tables. I reach back for his hand and pull him after me out of the tables and towards a door. I push it open and we start to walk quicker now, down a corridor. We get to the door at the end and I turn the handle, but it doesn't budge. Before I can try to force it open Reid pulls me to another door, which he opens. We enter the room behind it as I hear the cops call out, announcing their arrival. I look around and see that we are stood in a small storage room. I roll my eyes, thinking that we are at a dead end with no escape. Reid, however, isn't worried as he closes the door behind me.

"Reid..." I start dubiously. He shushes me, pulling me further into the room, and behind a self unit. The space was small, and we had to push up against each other to fit. My hands end up on his chest, as Reid takes out his phone, sending off a text. Once his phone is back in his pocket, his hands fall onto my hips, moving us around so my back is pressed against the wall and Reid is able to peek around the shelves. I look up at him raising an eyebrow.

"You didn't call them so we had to hide here, did you?" I whisper. He chuckles quietly.

"I wish. I'm sorry our date is ruined." He apologises. I shake my head.

"Don't apologise."

"Well, it's not all bad; you get to feel my body." He says with a smirk. I roll my eyes but look up at him through my eyelashes. His head bends down further, until his lips barely touch mine.

"Be quiet." He mutters almost unintelligibly. I press my lips together as I hear the footsteps stop outside the door. I hear the doorknob twist, and the door swing open.

Here you go my little devils!

I hope you liked it! 

I will be posting the next part on Radish tonight! :) Chapter 32 is free, Chapter 33 will become free in 4 hours, and Chapter 34 will become free in 7 days.

A shout out to @Zartaj_96! Go and check out her short stories which she has entered into a competition, so show them some love by voting on them and let's see if we can help her win! :)

What did you think?

What will happen next?

Thanks for reading, voting, commenting, sharing, and following!

CC ;)