Chapter 24

Jeff's P.O.V

"How did you say that with a straight face?!" I laughed, bending over trying to catch my breath as I continued to laugh.

"I don't know," Carter laughed, nowhere near as much as I am. 

"H-her face. It was the best thing I've ever seen." I huffed out, slowly recovering from my laughing fit. Carter had just questioned the girl in the questions place where the best place to buy a cat was. Although he didn't use the word cat, and let the word pussy fall from his mouth. 

"It was a mistake," Carter laughed. I loved that about Carter, he could laugh at anything embarrassing he does. 

"She was only like 16," I smiled, wiping my watery eyes as I stood to regular height. 

"Oops," Carter shrugged, taking my hand and dragging me farther into the mall, "and I never got an answer." His eyes landed on me, a playful scold on his face.

"I'm sorry, I freaked out." I mumbled, pressing my face into his shoulder trying to suppress my beaming smile. I had dragged Carter away after what he had said registered in my brain. I shouted a quick apology over my shoulder as I sprinted away, dragging Carter along.

"We can find it!" Carter smiled, we walked up to one of the giant maps. After staring at it for a few minutes, Carter aha'd. "This way, my dear Blondie," I playfully rolled my eyes at his words, but followed beside him nonetheless. We ended up in front of some pet store. He pulled me into the store, gushing over the puppies in the window. 

"I wish I could get a dog," Carter whined, "they don't allow dogs in my building though."

"At least you can have a cat," I smiled, "I've never been allowed to have any pets. My mom hated animals, and now Rydel's allergic."

"Aww, poor boy," Carter mocked, once again dragging me around. We found ourselves in front of a Plexiglas octagon filled with young kittens. "Naww! Wook at them!" Carter coo'd, slipping his hand in to pet a white kitten's head. 

"They are pretty cute," I half smiled. A little calico kitten stared up at me and mewed. I pouted at the feline, reaching forward to pet it's little head. It nudged my hand, purring softly.

"He likes you Jeffy!" Carter beamed, he was holding a small striped kitten. 

"Can I help you guys with anything?" An employee questioned. 

"Actually, yes. I'd like to adopt these two kittens." The girl nodded, as I sent a shocked look at Carter. He nodded towards the kitten, silently telling me to pick it up. 

"Carter, I can't-"

"Relax, I'll buy him, take care of him, he'll live with me- but he'll be yours." Carter explained. "Plus it gives me an excuse to give you a key to my apartment. Now you'll need it to come visit your child!" 

"A key?"

"To visit your cat, you're already welcome anytime. Plus with me travelling to blog in the upcoming months, you'll need to watch the cats, and maybe my apartment if you're up for it."

"I'll go get the kittens settled in adoption boxes. I can help you with essentials once I've finished," The employee smiled, taking the two kittens from our arms. 

"We've got it," Carter brushed him off. 

"Okay, I'll be here when you guys are done," The employee smiled, taking the kittens into the backroom. 

"Collars first!" Carter beamed, leading me to the colourful selection of kitten collars, "we can make tags too!"

"Okay,"