Chapter 28: I Already Miss You

~Taylor~
I couldn't believe that Zac was actually leaving me. I needed him here by my side. I couldn't do anything without him. He completes me and without him, I feel like I'm just nothing. I did know however, that he really did want to do this and I didn't blame him. It's cool being able to say you helped save lives even if you were just there in general. It would be a good experience for him, but I just know that I'll be so broken and lost while he's away. I'll be proud of him of course, when he comes back, but I'll definitely miss him more than anything.
"I miss you already." I cried into his shoulder.
"I don't have to leave til tomorrow afternoon." He started.
"Tomorrow!? That barely gives us any time!" I cried even harder then.
"Taylor it's okay! We will make the most of today and half of tomorrow, okay?" He said while kissing my head.
I just didn't say anything, I cried and cried.
"Please don't cry, it breaks my heart." He said sadly.
"Well it breaks my heart that you're leaving me!" I justified myself.

~Zac~
"I know that and I'm so sorry. I promise I'll come back Tay... girls, I will come home. No broken promises."
"The last time you made me a promise, it was broken." Taylor said.
"Please don't bring that up." I said to her. The girls looked confused. I just shook my head still holding my family. Taylor was so broken again, and it was my fault- once again - I just wish I could stay with her and hold her everyday. When I got back, I knew I was definitely going to do just that. I would never leave again. Ever. I knew I wanted to do this, but I also wanted to be with Taylor. I felt so damn bad that I was making her sleep alone for eight months. This was gunna be so hard.

~Later That Evening~
(Taylor)
Dinner was awkwardly quiet; none of us had anything to say. We were all just so shocked and sad. He was going to miss Tessa's 12th birthday... that's unfair for her. Her last birthday before she's a teenager. I didn't want Zac to leave.
"May I please be excused?" Tessa asked standing up.
"Sure sweetie." I said to her as she grabbed her plate.
She ran upstairs.
"I'll be right back." Zac said.

~Zac~
I knocked on Tessa's door.
"Hey Tess, can I come in please?" I asked softly.
"No." She said. She was crying.
I slowly opened the door and stepped in.
"Please let me come by you. I have something for you..." I said. I bought her an early birthday gift since I was going to miss her birthday.
She sat up as rubbed her puffy, red eyes.
"Aww, sweetheart. It'll go by fast. I'll write you and sometimes we can talk over Skype or something. But here, I wanna give you this."
"What is it?" She asked looking up at me.
"Here." I gave her a small velvet bag.
She carefully opened it and pulled out a silver locket. It was heart-shaped and on the back on the heart it had a Z - for my name -then a diamond followed by a T for Tessa.
"Open it." I said to her. She clicked the locket open and inside was a picture of me holding her when she was little.
A tear fell from her eye. I wiped it away.
"Can you put it on for me please?" She asked.
"Turn around." She did and pulled her hair up as I clasped the necklace around her neck.
"It's so pretty, I love it; thank you daddy." She said crying.
"You're welcome. I love you." I said.
"I love you too." She said through tears.
"Don't cry baby, it'll be okay. You'll have mom."
"I know, and I'm thankful for that. But I'll just miss you so much." She said.
"I'll miss you too Tessa. Have a good birthday too- even if I'm not there."

"I will, thank you Daddy... also, don't be too worried about mom, she's sad- but she's also strong, she'll be able to make it through. Just, if you can, try and write to her a little bit. It would comfort her and I know she'd write back to you, okay?" She said smiling lightly at me.

"Okay." I chuckled and smiled back. Then I took her into my arms again and we stayed like that for a while.

"Let's go back downstairs to mom, I know she'll want to spend as much time with you as she can until tomorrow afternoon." Tessa said pulling away.