Part 53

I had prepared as much as I could for the arrival of the Dark Father. I had showered, touched up my coiffure, stored away all superfluous energy from (Y/N), bathed, and summoned an appropriately decorous waistcoat, blouse, brogans, and trousers from our realm.

Still, I was overwrought. So much was at stake, which was irksome enough on its own. But the fact remained that I shouldn't have felt so strongly about trying to convince the Boss Man to help me gain (Y/N) eternal life. It was a sure sign I was affected by something novel and insidious. Though I didn't find this new disorder too dreadful thus far, it was most definitely changing me. I was fairly certain I'd never wanted anything so much in my life as greatly as I wanted to spend the rest of my days with (Y/N), not even my contract with Lola.

Thinking of Lols again, after so long, brought a sharp pang of guilt. Of all the women I had ever had sign themselves away, none had paid more dearly. And she had been so undeserving of her fate... I found myself, not for the first time, wishing pointlessly that I could do something to make amends, to help her find contentment. Of all the broken hearts I'd left behind me, hers had been the noblest. I hoped she had found happiness somewhere, somehow, in something other than me.

I squawked, startled, when there was a knock at the door. My natural instinct was to hide, but then I realized it was noon already. It might very well be Beelzebub at the entry.

I cleared my throat, straightened my spine, squared my shoulders, and went to the door. "It's me, Andy," came filtering through the cracks as I hesitated. Quickly, I unbolted and unlocked the door.

Upon opening it, there he was indeed. Jittery, I bowed my head and stood aside for him to come in, shutting the door behind him. "You don't need to be so formal, kid. It's just us."

My heart was hammering in my chest, so great was my disquiet. "Please, my dark sovereign, be seated and easeful. Would you like any human beverages?" I hesitated, thinking of all the energy I had stored away. I didn't want to share (Y/N)'s delectable bliss. So, perhaps foolishly, I did not offer any.

The Big Man scoffed and sat down, worrying me. "Like I said, Andy, there's no need to be so ceremonial, ok? Just have a seat, we have a lot to talk about."

I sat, rigidly perched on the edge of an armchair. "Of course, my, uh... yes, of course."

Mephistopheles let out a long, weary sigh. "I guess, I'll just start by asking if there's anything you want to talk about first?"

All my carefully organized thoughts fled, and I couldn't remember all the talking points I had made in advance. Harried, I impulsively said the first thing that came to mind. "I think I'm becoming a human woman, darkest majesty." Lucifer made a stunned face, as though I'd told him I was growing an angel's wings and halo. "I believe I have some sort of affliction. I've become overemotional. A simpering, dewy-eyed, sentimental-"

At first he was taken aback, but then he burst out laughing! "Ah! Ah, shit! Jesus, Andy!"

Wildly uncomfortable at the mention of the lamb of god, and unclear concerning the significance of his invocation, I grinned nervously. "This was his doing, sire? I know he possesses the power of transformation, but it seems inconsistent with his previous behavior..."

The Dark Lord settled down, shaking his head. "No, no it wasn't J." He hesitated. "Andy, I know what's happening, the sort of feelings you're having. And I know why it's happening, as well."

He looked at a loss for words, and gestured with his hands as though they just wouldn't come. I waited; dread forming a steely ball in my gut. "Andy, I just want to say, I'm about to tell you a lot of stuff. It will change a lot of things, and it will probably be scary, but I'm sure you'll be glad, once we're done."

I was also most definitely sure I'd be glad when this conversation was finished! "Please, continue, my-hmm..."

Lucifer nodded solemnly. "Andy, nothing is wrong with you. You're in love."