Chapter 28

sorry I haven't updated in a long time. I've become obsessed with Hamilton since the last time I updated!!

In chapter 26 I mentioned the word time a lot and told you to pay attention to it. It will come back again in this chapter.

If you get maybe a little confused at the end of the chapter, go back to 26 and read the paragraphs with the word time in it. Time is in bold. Hopefully it will make more sense then.

This song kind of makes sense with this chapter, just a little bit ;)

*****

"Olivia." Kian says, waving his hand in front of my face. I shake myself out of my thoughts, turning to him slowly.

"Did you say something?" I ask.

He rolls his eyes. "Yes. I was trying to tell you that I think we should tell mom."

I stiffen. "No." I reply coldly. "No way are we telling that woman."

"Olivia, she's still our mom. She gave birth to us and helped raise us for seventeen years. She at least deserves to know her husband, or ex-husband, is dead. It's wrong to keep this from her." He reasons.

I look down at my hands. He does have a point. "Maybe you're right." I admit, sighing.

"Do you want me to call her?" He asks. I nod. We'll let her know everything, but it doesn't mean I will instantly become friendly with her again. If she wants to be back in our lives again, then she's going to need to gain my trust back.

Kian picks up his phone, then puts it to his ear. He sits there silently for a few moments, until she picks up.

"Hey, mom." Kian says sheepishly. "I'm sorry to say that I've got some terrible news." He pauses, looking down at his feet. "Dad died in a car accident a couple days ago. Faith was with him. She's in the hospital right now."

He looks up at the ceiling, listening to her response. "Yes, mom. I'm sorry too. Yes, we should have told you, but-" he gets cut off, probably by her scolding him.

"We were going to go to visit her today, if you would like to come." Kian says softly. "Hope Memorial Hospital. Okay, we'll see you there." He takes the phone away from his ear, then hangs up.

"She's going to meet us at the hospital at three. I need you to be nice."

"Hell no." I respond, shaking my head. "I'm not going to trust her just like that." I snap my fingers, then fold my arms across my chest.

"Olivia, we can't live by ourselves. We're only seventeen, it would be illegal. We need someone to live with until we're out of college, and someone Faith can live with when we need to move out and start our own lives. We need her, Olivia."

I let my face fall onto the table below me. "Why are you always right?" I huff. I hear him chuckle.

"We need to get going if we want to eat to the hospital in time."

*****

If I add up all the hours I've sat at a hospital chair for the past week, I would probably get a number around twenty-four hours.

During that time, I've had nothing to do but think. Think about everything I regret, my last words to my dad.

The day my dad died, a word that seemed to come up a lot that day was time. I thought I had all the time in the world, I thought I would have enough time to make it up to Faith for her terrible birthday card. Now, her birthday will be a day of sadness. She'll remember it for the rest of life as the day her father died.

Time is limited. Time is not something to take for granted. You may think you have all the time in the world, but really you don't. This may seem cheesy, but I realized you really do have to live everyday like it's your last, because you never know when that day will actually come. It could be today, tomorrow, or maybe even fifty years from now.

You need to spend your time wisely. I didn't realize that until it was too late.

"The family of Faith Allen?" I hear a nurse call out, reading from a clipboard. I stand up first, then Kian, then my mom. I walk ahead of them. I don't want to talk to mom, regardless of what Kian says.

The nurse leads us to a door, opening it up. Faith lies on a bed, the white sheets almost matching her pale skin. Bruises cover her body, and a white bandage is wrapped around her head. He heart monitor beeps consistently in the background.

I hear mom start to sob behind me. She rushes to Faith's side, covering her mouth with her hand.

"My baby," she whispers. I feel a pang in my chest, and I look down at my shoes.

I walk to the other side of Faith with Kian behind me. I pull up a chair so I can be closer to her, and I hold her small hand in mine.

"I'm pretty sure she can hear us. She just can't respond." Kian says, putting his hand on top of mine.

"Hey, Faith." I whisper. "We miss you." I smile slightly.

"Yeah, we sure do. When you wake up, I'll let you give me a makeover. Whatever you want." Kian says, smiling.

I look up at mom. The look on her face is breathtaking. She looks at me and Kian with a face that shows so much admiration, so much pride. Even after all we've done, we kicked her out of the house, we didn't reply to her calls, yet she still loves us as much as she did our entire lives. We still make her proud.

My heart softens. I think that maybe I can start learning to trust her again.

I feel Faith take a deep breath and I look down her face. Her eyes are closed delicately, and her cheeks somehow still hold the pink color they've had her whole life.

I feel like the corners of her mouth are tilted up, happy to be with her family again. But that could just be my imagination.

I feel as if my heart is expanding. Even after all the terrible things that have happened this week, I think this is the happiest I've been for a long time.

*****

yayayayay!

1091 words🏝