Chapter 24

I AM FREAKING OBSESSED WITH THIS OML HE'S SO GOOD I'M CRYING

I pause, long enough to hear Kian curse and slap Hayden repeatedly.

"That's my twin you're talking about, asshole!"

I blush again and hurry into the kitchen, throwing the fridge open and grabbing the french onion dip. I shut the fridge and grab the chips from on the counter. I hesitate, then walk back into the living room reluctantly.

Kian is sitting on Hayden, right on his chest. He bounces up and down, and Hayden grunts in pain. The whole thing looks, and sounds... disturbing. And sexual. If a parent were to walk in right now, it would be kind of awkward to explain...

I take a deep breath to hide my emotions, making it seem like I didn't hear what Hayden muttered.

"What the heck are you doing, Kian?" I say, feigning surprise. I place down the chips and dip and pull Kian off Hayden.

"He said something I didn't appreciate." Kian growls, narrowing his eyes at Hayden.

"Calm down, I'm sure it was no big deal." I tell him, sitting down on the couch next to Hayden.

My heart pounds at the closeness between us, and I think about what he said just a few minutes ago. I feel a blush creep it's way up my neck but I shake my head quickly, snapping out of it.

"So, what do we do now?" I ask, dipping my chip.

"Hey, we could go to Dairy Queen!" Kian suggests. "I know it's pretty cold out, but I really want a blizzard right now." He rubs his stomach, sighing in delight.

"No." Hayden says firmly, his lips turning down into a scowl.

"Hayden, wha-" I start, raising an eyebrow.

"It's just-" He sighs, running a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, I just can't." He gets up suddenly, walking out the front door. I get up without so much as a second thought.

I shut the door behind me softly. Hayden is sitting on the front step of the porch, his head in his hands. I walk up behind him slowly, then take a seat next to him.

"What's wrong?" I ask hesitantly, afraid he might get mad at me for asking. He takes a deep breath, shaking his head.

"It's nothing." He whispers. His voice sounds so pained, it makes my chest ache.

"Please tell me."

He takes another deep breath and looks up at me. There are tears in his eyes, and some are slowly falling down his face.

Boys crying... that is one of my weaknesses. I have rarely seen any boy cry. Maybe because it's too embarrassing, and it'll hurt their 'man pride' or something. Maybe they just don't like feeling emotions in general. So whenever I see a boy cry... I know something serious is happening.

"Oh my god." I mutter under my breath. "Please tell me what's wrong." I plead with him.

"My sister. I had a sister." He starts, staring off into the distance, the tears still falling down his face.

I stay quiet, waiting for him to elaborate.

"We used to go there almost everyday after school. Dairy Queen, I mean."

"What happened to her? If it's alright for me to ask." I say.

"I know we weren't really friends in freshman year, but do you remember when I was gone for a week?" He looks at me, his eyes full of pain.

I try thinking back to freshman year of high school. I didn't know Hayden that well, but I knew who he was and he was in a few of my classes. I kind of remember him being gone for a while.

"Yeah," I answer.

"Well, I was gone because my sister committed suicide."

I gasp quietly, then try to put on a straight face again.

"She had depression, like you. She was bullied a lot. I have no idea why. She was absolutely gorgeous. She was an amazing person, always kind to everyone, she was funny, charismatic, and always put other people's needs before her own. She was bullied because someone spread rumors about her cheating on her boyfriend. Of course, she didn't, but everyone called her a whore and a slut because of it. It was terrible. She tried to act happy in front of me and at home, but I could tell. I wasn't as young and dumb as she thought I was. But apparently nobody else noticed, because no one did anything about it.

"The day she killed herself was on a Saturday. I could tell she had a tough week, she was physically and mentally drained. Her eyes seemed to have lost the light that used to be in them. I think she had started to starve herself. She already had the body of a model, but I think the bullying made her self-conscious. I felt terrible for her, so I went to go get her favorite food and bring it home. I left, and when I came back, I walked into the house, called for her, and she didn't answer. I went upstairs," He breaks off, resting his head in his hands and taking a shaky breath.

"That was when I found her. She was in the bathroom, lying on the floor. She slit her wrists. She didn't even leave a note." His voice cracks, and he breaks down.

My heart splits into a million pieces as I watch him- a boy who I had thought I would ever see cry- sob uncontrollably.

"Hayden," I whisper, putting my hand on his shoulder.

"I could have stopped her. There were a million different ways I could have stopped her. I could have left earlier and not tell her. I could have come home quicker. I could have not gone at all. If I had done one of those things, she could have still been here today. It's my fault... I could have saved her." He cries.

"Hayden, it is so not your fault." I say, standing up. "It's the persons fault who started the rumor. The rumor that started the bullying, which led to everything."

"Even so," He says, standing up too. "I could have helped her. Maybe she could still be here." He wipes away the tears on his cheeks.

I take a deep breath, then hug him. He seems shocked for a moment, then he hugs me back.

"That's why I had to do it," he whispers.

"Do what?" I ask.

"Help you. I can't fail you like I failed her. I have to save you, Olivia."

  *****
aye wassup title reference!1!1!
uploaded on my birthday!!😛

1103 words 🖤