Chapter 26

y'all better be prepared for this. I've been planning this chapter for a long time, and I can't believe it's finally here

the keyword in this chapter is time.

don't play song until I tell you

*****

I wake up on a Saturday morning to the sound of Kian singing in the shower. He's singing so loud my head is starting to hurt.

I swing my legs over the side of the bed, stumbling a bit as I try to walk to the bathroom. I hit multiple things on my way out my door, and I finally reach the bathroom.

I slam my hand into the door repeatedly. "Kian! Shut the hell up!" I yell, my voice scratching.

"I shouldn't be yelling this early in the morning," I mumble to myself. Kian thankfully stops singing, and I hear the water turn off. He walks out of the bathroom a few moments later with a towel around his waist.

"Hey, where's Dad and Faith?" I ask, yawning.

"Oh, they went out to breakfast. You do remember it's Faith's birthday, right?" Kian says, staring at me expectantly.

My eyebrows shoot up. "Holy! I forgot my sisters birthday!" I scream, face palming. "How long ago did they leave?" I ask frantically.

"Like an hour ago. Why?" He asks, fiddling with his towel.

"Good," I breathe out quickly. "I've got time." I turn around sharply, rushing down the stairs and opening up a closet with a bunch of board games and coloring supplies. I grab a sheet of pink construction paper and a box of crayons, then set them down on the counter and start making the card. I write a corny sentence on the inside, then color with a silver crayon. I close it up, looking at my work.

It's not the best card I've ever done, but it'll do. I'll give her a nice gift to make up for it tomorrow, take her to the mall or something. I've got time.

Kian comes down the stairs in sweatpants and an old football jersey.

"You want some pancakes?" He asks, turning into the kitchen. As if on cue, my stomach growls.

"Oh yeah," I reply, smiling. Grayson is a lucky man, he's got a boy who can cook. I'd love to have a guy like that.

I grab the remote from off the coffee table, turning on the Apple TV and going to YouTube.

"What should we watch?" I call out to Kian, flipping through the suggested. "Never mind!" I say, clicking on David Dobrik's latest vlog.

*play song*

Halfway through the video, my phone rings.

I pick it up, checking the caller ID. It's dad.

"Hey." I say, putting the phone up to my ear.

I hear an unfamiliar voice answer and my heart starts to beat faster.

"Hello, is this the daughter of Joseph Allen?" A male says, his voice full of authority.

"Yes," I reply reluctantly, my heart racing. "Why?"

"We need you to come to the street right outside of Harry's Diner. I'm afraid there's been an accident."