Chapter 23

writers block sucks, but this is actually my favorite chapter I've written in this book

"Say goodbye to the house, guys. We won't be back here for a few months." Dad says, starting up the car.

"Bye awesome house," Kian says, pressing his face against the window.

"When are we coming back?" I ask dad as he pulls out of the driveway. I take one last longing look at it before turning my head back to the front of the car.

"We'll probably come back in the summer and stay until early August. You guys could bring some friends if you like."

"That'd be cool," I say, looking out my window.

What awaits me back home? Who awaits me back home? Through out the year I've become closer with Hazel, after that thing with Amelia. Ethan and Jayce are pretty cool... but did anyone miss me? I feel a pang of sadness in my chest, but I ignore it. I can't go down again... not after I've come so far. I'm happier than I've been for years. I'm smiling, laughing, making new friends...

Speaking about new friends... what about Hayden? Him and I have become a little bit closer since we did that project. I might even consider him as my friend...

Haydens face invades my mind. His dark brown hair, his captivating brown eyes, sharp jawline...

What am I doing?

I shake my head, trying to think of something else besides Hayden.

Sierra and her posse haven't really bothered me since winter break. Sure, there's the occasional glare and shove in the hallway, but nothing too major. I can handle it, I've been through much worse.

Soon enough, my thoughts drift me off into a deep sleep.

*****

It took us about two days to drive back home, but we're finally here. Dad had expected the drive home to be a little longer so we are still supposed to be absent tomorrow. It's supposed to snow all night anyway, so I think there should be a snow day.

"Liv, come look at this! It's snowing already!" Faith calls out, motioning me to come to the window. She presses her face against the glass, and I walk towards her. White specks of snow fall from the sky, twirling down and landing on the grass and windowsill.

"If it's going to snow all night, then we are definitely going to have a snow day." I say, backing away from the window and sitting down on the couch. I look up at the TV, where Kian is playing Call of Duty.

"Hey," I say, nudging him with my elbow. "I'm joining next game."

He looks at me weirdly, then bursts into laughter, slapping his hands on his knees and leaning over. He laughs until he's out of breath.

He finally sobers up, then glances up at me again. "Oh, you were serious?"

I roll my eyes. "Of course I was serious. I can play Call of Duty too, you know."

"Hah!" He laughs, pointing at me. "Prepare to have your ass kicked!"

"Well, while you were wasting your time talking to me, you've died at least ten times and your team lost the game." I say smugly, glancing towards the TV. Kian turns towards it reluctantly. He notices the score board and his eyes grow as wide as saucers.

"You've got to be kidding me." He states in disbelief. I laugh. He turns, handing me a controller. 

"It's on." He growls, turning his full attention to the TV.

I smile evilly. Little does he know, I've mastered this game. I prepare to have my ass kicked? Pfft, more like the other way around.

The game starts and I run around a corner. I take a peek at Kian's screen for a second and notice he's just running aimlessly. I roll my eyes. He's so clueless, he has no idea what's coming. I find my secret spot on top of the building. It took five whole games for me to find out how to get on top of it, but I did and nobody else can get up here. I make it so my character is laying flat on the ground. I see Kian's character coming closer and I aim at him.

I take a shot, and hit him straight in the head. His character falls to the ground, and I glance at him. His mouth is open and and his eyes are so wide it looks like it hurts.

"You- how... when? Why are..." He drifts off, his eyebrows scrunched together in confusion.

"I practiced." I say, turning back to the TV and shooting more people coming closer to me.

I hear Kian huff and I stifle a laugh.

"If we have a snow day tomorrow, I'm making Hayden come over here and beat you. If I can't do it, then he can." I hear him mutter.

"Yeah, alright."

*****

I wake up by myself. Nobody woke me up, which means I either slept in, or I woke up early. I get out of my bed, grabbing my phone to check the time.

12:02 p.m

I'm guessing it's a snow day? That's the only way I could have slept through my alarm without anyone waking up.

I walk down the stairs, only to see Kian is already playing Call of Duty, and Hayden is here too. Apparently, Kian thinks he can beat me with him. He can try...

"Yo, ready to get beat, Liv?" Kian calls, still focused on the TV. Hayden however, turns his gaze back to me, a smirk on his face.

He looks me up and down slowly, making me blush slightly. "I'm definitely going to beat you."

I scoff. "You haven't even seen me play." I take a seat between the two, grabbing a controller.

When did Hayden become such a flirt?

The game starts.

"Absolutely no screen-looking." Kian states, glancing at me briefly.

"Doesn't affect me." I say, running to a spot inside a building.

I see someone running by and I shoot, hitting them straight in the head. Endless weekends I've practiced headshots, and now every time I shoot I'm almost certain it'll hit the head.

Hayden's character walks by, and I laugh internally as I kill him. I hear his quiet gasp and I can't help but let it a little laughter, but I try to cover it up by coughing.

"Oh, just be ready, Livers." Hayden growls.

"Livers?" I laugh. "What kind of name is that?"

"It's your new nickname. I just came up with it. And by the way, you might want to lay attention." He says smugly. My eyes dart up to the TV quickly, where I see Hayden's character stands directly in front of me. I quickly use my knife on him, killing him. I burst into laughter.

I hear Hayden gasp again, turning to face me.

"How did you...?" He asks.

"Practice, my dear friend, practice." The game ends, and I get up.

Before I can walk fully into the kitchen, I hear Hayden mutter something that makes my cheeks flush.

"Damn, that was a major turn on."

*****

😉😉🔥🔥✌🏼️✌🏼️❤️❤️

1186 words🐸☕️