Chapter 5

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

I turn over and smack my alarm to make it shut up. Today is not the day to mess with me.

I throw the covers off me and roll out of bed. I grab my phone from off the charger head to the bathroom to pee.

Why do we always have to pee in the morning? I would like it if I didn't have to pee every freaking morning, thank you.

I look in the mirror and frown in disgust. I pick up a strand of my dirty, greasy hair. Today is going to be horrible.

I walk back into my room and open up my closet. Today feels like a day to wear baggy clothing.

I take out some black sweatpants and an oversized white t-shirt. Perfect.

I walk down the stairs, and see that Kian has already gotten up. He's scarfing down a bowl of Lucky Charms, and reading something on his phone.

I pour my own bowl of Lucky Charms and plop down next to him. I lean over his shoulder to see what he's reading.

Oh, he's not reading. He's just scrolling through Instagram.

"Kian," I nudge him softly with my elbow. He swallows the spoonful of cereal and turns to look at me.

"First, thanks for what you did for me last night. I really appreciate it. And second, how are we going to get to school?" Kian thinks for a moment, then his face lights up with an idea.

"I'll call one of my friends to come pick us up. We're on his way there anyway." He opens up his phone and starts calling someone.

"Hey, I need you to do me a favor." He says once the person picks up. "Our ride kind of ditched us and we need someone to get us to school. Think you can do it?" Kian pauses, then smiles.

"Thanks. I owe you one." He ends the call. "We got a ride!" He puts two thumbs up and I give him a tight-lipped smile.

"Hurry up and finish that. He's the kinda guy who likes to get to school early." Kian says as he finishes up his last spoon of cereal.

"Ok but Kian, who exactly is 'he'?" He turns back to me and smiles.

"Just my friend Hayden."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? GOD REALLY DOES NOT LIKE ME TODAY!

His smile fades. "What? Do you not like him or something?" His expression then turns to rage. "Does he bully you? I swear to god I'm gonna kill him..."

"No!" I rush out. "There's nothing wrong. I was just thinking about something that we're doing in my... math class. It's fine." Kian looks suspicious, but lets it go.

"Hey, you might want to put up your hair. If I were you, I would not want to go to school with it looking like that."

I smile. Kian's always been looking out for me, even since we were little. In elementary school, if anyone even looked at me weirdly, Kian was right there with his fist ready. I guess you could say he was a pretty violent kid.

I throw my hair up into a bun and slip on my moccasins.

"You ready?" Kian asks while walking down the stairs.

"Yope." I say, popping the p. I'm ready for a day of torture.

I open the front door and Kian follows me, closing and locking it on the way out. The sky today is the bluest I've ever seen it and the sun shines brightly down, making the whole atmosphere seem brighter and happier.

Too bad my day is already too horrible to be happy again.

Of course when I tell my one closest friend I'm depressed she walks out on me. Of course she can only think about how wrong I was about not telling her sooner and not thinking about how wrong she was being for walking out.

Well, that was actually yesterday, but the effect of it still hasn't worn off.

I don't think it really ever will.

Sure, sooner or later the memory will fade and I will forget, but the scar will always be there.

I mean, if she walked out on something important as that.... What else will she walk out on in the future?

The truth is I have no idea. She could walk out when I need her the most. I guess she already kinda did, though.

There's one thing I do know for certain, and it's that if I ever forgive her, she's going to have to earn my trust back. And let me tell you, it's going to take her a long time to do that.

"Livie, we're here." Kian shakes my shoulder softly. I unbuckle my seat belt and step out of the car.

"You sure you're going to be okay?" He asks, brown eyes soft and warming. I just nod once and head inside.

People all around buzz with new gossip for the day. Everywhere people are standing by their lockers talking or on their phone.

I see Amelia's blonde hair and turn my head the other way. There is no way on gods green earth I'm talking to her today.

"Olivia!" I hear someone call. I quicken my pace to get to my locker. As soon as I get there I open it and take out my books for my first class.

"Olivia, please, you have to forgive me. I wasn't thinking straight!" I shake my head.

"Sorry isn't going to cut it, Amelia." I start walking in the direction of my class.

"Give me a break, Liv. It wasn't even that bad." I hear her sigh.

"Give you a break? Yeah sure Amelia, I'll give you a break. I mean, it's not like I shared my deepest, darkest secret and you walked out on me. Sure, I'll give you a break." I spit, rolling my eyes.

"Jesus Christ Olivia! All I did was walk away! I didn't know that was a crime!" She yells back.

"All you did was walk away? AMELIA, I TOLD YOU SOMETHING THAT ONLY ONE OTHER PERSON IN MY LIFE KNOWS, AND YOU REACT BY WALKING AWAY. WHAT KIND OF FRIEND DOES THAT? YOU'RE ACTING LIKE I'M MAKING A BIG DEAL OUT OF NOTHING BUT IN REALITY I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF THIS!" I scream, my breathing heavy by the end of my rage. I stomp away, leaving her behind.

It seems like whenever I have a plan to not talk to someone, it always fails.

1095 words🤘🏼