Chapter 19

"Kian, turn the music down." I hiss, narrowing my eyes. He's got the music on full blast and I can barely hear my own thoughts. Every time I ask him to turn it down, he just makes it louder.

"Alright, fine. I'll turn it down." He reaches for the volume and actually turns down the music. We sit in peaceful silence.

For a few seconds.

Suddenly, Kian turns the music up louder than it was before and starts screaming along to the song. I cover my ears and squeeze my eyes shut.

I swear he will be the death of me.

"Kian," I start sweetly, plastering a smile on my face. He turns to look at me, panic settling in his eyes. He knows what's about to come.

"If you don't turn the damn music down I'm going to throw you through the windshield and run you over with your car, then pee on your dead body while singing this song. So turn it down." I say, lowering my voice in a threatening way. He raises a hand up in defeat and finally turns the music down for good.

We're going to pick Faith up from school, apparently dad has some 'family meeting' he wants us all to attend. 

Kian pulls into the school's parking lot and gets a spot to park. We get out and start to head around the school to where Faith's class is.

"It's been years since I was last here," Kian whispers, his eyes wandering.

"Yeah." I look around to the colorful playground, where younger siblings play waiting for their brothers and sisters to come out. My eyes fall upon the woods, where fallen snow sits on the branches of trees.

I remember playing in those woods with Amelia...

I shiver, pulling my coat tighter around my body. The cold February wind whipping against my face, making me close my eyes.

"The bell rings in..." Kian takes his phone out from his back pocket, checking the time. "Approximately thirty seconds. Speed up, woman!" He looks back at me, motioning to go faster. I roll my eyes and start walking faster. By the time the bell rings, we're at Faiths class.

Kids rush out of the classroom, immediately running to their parents or to the playground, eager to spend sometime with their friends.

Finally, Faith comes rushing out of the class, smacking right into Kian, making him fall backwards.

I burst out laughing. "Great going... Kian!" I say between breaths. Faith picks herself up off of Kian and smiles apologetically at him. Kian gets up, dusting dirt off of his shoulders and off his pants. He glares at me playfully.

"That wasn't funny, Liv."

"Oh, it was." I assure him, smiling.

"Okay, shut up." He rolls his eyes, smiling a little. "I don't think you can stay and play today, Faith. Dad told us we have a 'mandatory family meeting'."

Faith pouts. "But I wanted to play," She whines, pushing her bottom lip out. My heart softens.

"Maybe she could play for a little bit?" I look to Kian. He gives me a stubborn look, eyebrows furrowing. He sighs in defeat. "Fine, she can play for a little bit."

Faith's eyes light up like a Christmas tree. She runs up to Kian, hugging him tightly. "Thanks, Kian." She whispers, smiling so wide it must hurt. My heart warms.

Awe, Faith is so cute.

I walk up to Kian, putting my arm on his shoulders. "What a good big brother," I coo. He swats me away.

"Why aren't you ever like that with me? All sweet and nice?" I ask, crossing my arms. "You're always mean to me."

"That's 'cause you're a pain in my ass."

*****

"What do you think dad wants to talk about?" I ask Kian, staring out my window.

"I dunno. Hopefully not something about mom." He replies.

Mom.

I don't even think I can call her that anymore. That cheating woman that broke my dads heart. Almost ripped my family apart.

The woman that made me attempt suicide.

I hate her. I hate her with every inch of my body.

"Hey, Liv. Don't worry about it. He didn't look mad, he looked excited. I'm sure it's not about mom." Kian assures me, resting his hand on my shoulder.

"Don't call her mom," I growled. "She's nothing to us."

"Alright, alright. Calm down." He said.

"Please stop arguing," I hear Faith whisper from the back.

Shit. I forgot she was here.

"Oh, sorry Faith." I apologized. Faith takes a deep breath, calming herself down.

Faith has always been pretty mature, even when she was just a toddler. She always watched out for everyone, even if she was years younger than them. She knew more at age ten than I did at age seventeen.

Kian pulls into the driveway and shuts off the car. We all get out, walking to the front door. When I get inside, I notice that dad is sitting in the living room, waiting for us.

When he notices that we're home, he stands up. "Hey guys. I have a special announcement." He smiles, clasping his hands in front of him. "We're going to be taking a trip to Florida for the week! I wanted to have some family time with you guys. I've already talked to your teachers, they said you won't have too much homework when you get back. We're leaving tomorrow morning."

"Florida?" I gasp. "We're going to Florida!" I look to my right, where Kian stands with a shocked face, while Faith is squealing and jumping up and down.

"Are we driving or flying there?" Kian asks suddenly.

"Flying. Our flight leaves at ten thirty tomorrow." Dad replies, smiling wider. I rush over and wrap my arms around him.

"This is the best surprise ever, dad." I say. "Thank you."

"Awe, no problem, honey. I just want to spend some quality time with my family." He hugs me back tightly. I break away from him, sitting down on the couch.

"Where in Florida are we staying?" I ask.

"Miami" He replies. "Now go upstairs and pack. We have to get up early in the morning. Tomorrow is going to be a big day."

*****

WOOOO YEAH PARTY I WISH I WAS GOING TO FLORIDA RIGHT NOW MICHIGAN WEATHER SUCKS!!!!

1057 words🎅🏼