Chapter 8

I'm in love with the joker #sorrynotsorry

"Olivia" Someone says. I feel someone shaking me softly but I don't want to open my eyes. I want to dig a hole in the ground and crawl in it. I don't want to be here.

"Olivia, please wake up." I force my eyes to open, and I find myself in the nurses room again. Kian is hovering above me, with some people from his lunch table here too, along with Hayden.

"Thank god, Olivia. I thought you were dying." Kian says and let's out a long breath of relief. The people from his table look over to us, and start walking towards me.

"Are you okay Olivia? You passed out." One of them asks. I recognize her as Hazel. I remember her being friendly, and she's really pretty. I envy her for that.

"Yeah, you freaked us out." Another one says. This time it's Ethan, one of Kian's closest friends.

"I thought you died, honestly." The last one says. His name is Jayce.

My heart warms for a second at the thought that these people care about me, but it soon dies down as I remember what happened to make me faint.

Sierra.

I start panicking, and I guess everyone notices because they immediately try to calm me down.

"Hey Liv, it's okay!" Kian assures me.

With all the people around comforting me, it doesn't take long to calm me down. But the fear is still there, churning around in my stomach.

"It's okay Olivia, we know the things Sierra said weren't true. Kian told us everything." Jayce says, and Ethan nods.

I take a quick look at Kian who sends me a reassuring glance. He didn't tell them the whole story.

That's when I remember Hayden is here. My eyes search the room and land on him in the corner, watching us. As soon as our eyes lock he looks away.

"Mrs. Johnson said I can take you home when your ready." Kian says. I sigh in relief. I would not be able to survive any longer.

"What time is it?" I croak out.

"It's around one thirty." Hazel says.

"How are you going to take me home? I don't have a car." I state, and Kian frowns.

"I can take you home." Hayden offers. Everyone turns to look at him. Hayden sits at our lunch table, but he doesn't take part in any conversations, and when they try to include him he gives a short answer and then goes back to picking at his food.

"You sure?" I ask. "You don't need to miss school to take me home."

He shrugs. "It's alright." Ethan and Jayce look at each other with surprised faces. To be honest, I'm a little surprised too. Hayden isn't one for kind gestures. Although he's been pretty nice to me in the past days, if you compare it to how he is to everyone else.

"Alright, let's go then." I swing my legs off the side of the cot and land on the ground with a soft thud. We all head towards the door and go our separate ways.

"Bye guys, thanks for staying to see if I was okay." I give a weak wave and turn to follow Hayden down the hallway.

"You really don't have to take me home. I could've just called my mom to pick me up, or maybe my dad."

"It's not a big deal."

We go out the doors to the parking lot and Hayden starts taking out his keys. A car beeps in the distance, and we start heading that way.

"Why have you been talking to me this week? You practically stalked me." I ask him. He stops walking for a second, but continues when I'm in pace with him.

"I already told you, didn't I? I noticed something that I didn't want to happen again."

I roll my eyes. "What did you notice?"

"I had a feeling you were depressed. I have experience with this kinda stuff."

"Okay.... what did you mean by 'happen again'?"

"That's none of your business."

I'm taken aback from his bluntness, but brush it off. It's just his personality.

Suddenly realization hits me like a brick wall. I was in a room with all those people... for who knows how long. My sleeves could have ridden up... they could have seen the cuts...

"Shit." I whisper.

"What?" Hayden asks.

"That's none of your business," I mock him, trying to change the subject quickly.

He gives me a lingering look, and stops by a black Chevy Malibu Limited. He had driven us to school the last couple of days, but I hadn't been paying attention to what kind of car he had.

"This is a nice car." I say and he nods, stepping into the car.

"Is there anyone at your house?" He asks as he pulls out of the parking lot.

"No, my parents are both working."

"Alright."

I turn to look at him. I observe his face for a second, then ask "Why?"

"Just wondering." I let out a frustrated sigh. He always seems to give vague answers.

He pulls into my driveway, but instead of just dropping me off he stops the car and starts getting out.

"What are you doing?" I ask. He continues getting out of the car then turns to me.

"Did you really think I was just gonna let you stay here alone? You fainted literally 2 hours ago, Olivia." He leaves me stunned for a second, which he seems to do quite often.

"Do you always have to be so rude?" I huff and cross my arms across my chest.

"Well sorry you can't handle the truth. You know, you really need to toughen up Olivia."

That stung a little. He must have realized, because he face softened a little.

"Sorry. I didn't mean it in that way." I nod, and tears threaten to spill.

"Really, Olivia. I didn't mean to hurt you. I wasn't thinking about that at the time." He takes a step closer and I see his hand twitch, and for a second I thought he was going to hug me.

"It's alright." I wipe away the tears that managed to escape off with my hand.

I grab the spare key from its place and unlock the front door.

Hayden doesn't come in the door, he just stands there staring at the ground.

"Are you going to come in or not?"

1079 words✍🏽