Chapter One

I woke up to the feeling of warmth and the sound of a crackling fire. I opened my eyes to see that I was in a fairly large room. The color scheme was red. Red walls, red bed sheets, red carpet, red curtains. Everything red. I looked around the room and saw there were three doors. Two were on either side of the fireplace, which I assumed were the closet and bathroom. And one was off on the adjacent wall, leading out to the rest of the building.

In the doorway stood a tall man dressed in grays and black. He had long silver gray hair that seemed to shine in the sunlight and bangs long enough to cover his eyes. He had scars that were barley visible on his face and neck. The only thing that was truly visible was his wide, and somewhat creepy, smile.

Noticing that I was awake, he came over to me and stood in front of me.

"Hello, kitty love. How are you this morning?" The man asked.

I didn't answer. Not because I didn't want to. But because, well, I'm a cat. I can't.

I stretched my paws out in front of me to wake my tired limbs from sleep. But I could feel that my body was ready to transform back.

Well crap. He's about to get an eye full. Or die of a heart attack. You see, when I transform, my clothes don't just pop in and out of existence. They fall off of my body and stay where they fell unless someone picks them up. So I have no clothes to speak of.

When my transformation was complete I was on my hands and knees with my tail swishing back and forth and my ears twitching at every sound in and around the room. I went to look up at the man but something white and soft was thrown over my body, obscuring my view of him. It was a bed sheet. I wrapped the fabric tightly around my body and sat on my feet, looking up at the man.

"Well isn't this an interesting turn of events. I bring home a stray cat only for it to turn into a beautiful young woman." The man laughed to himself.

I didn't say anything. I just stared at him. His reaction was...strange. Anytime someone finds out what I am they either scream, try to kill me, or both. They call me a devil. A demon of hell. But I'm not. I'm a Were-cat. Just an ordinary girl with feline ears and a tail that just so happens to turn into a domestic house cat whenever I choose or when I'm weak. Simple as that.

The man knelt down to my eye level.

"What is your name?" The man asked.

"Kate. I'm Kate Griffiths. Thank you for saving me last night." I bowed slightly.

"Oh it was no trouble at all. I couldn't just stand by while a poor cat caught it's death in that rain, now could I?" He smiled a bright beautiful smile. I yearned to see how his eyes would light up with such a smile.

I nodded my thanks once more. "So, where am I?"

"You are in my shop. I am the Undertaker, and you can call me as such." The man said.

"Undertaker? That's an unusual name, sir."

"I like unusual. Normal is over rated." Undertaker smiled and laughed.

I smiled along with him. I liked this man. He was just like me. "Tell me about it."

Then we heard the ringing of a bell. Like one of those bells that hung above the inside of shop doors to alert the owners that there is a customer. A few seconds later we heard the voice of a young boy.

"Undertaker. Are you here?"

"I shall be back, my dear. I must take care of business." Undertaker seemed a little annoyed that he had been called upon. I nodded my head, signaling that I understood. He stood up and left the room with one last glance back at me.