Chapter 14 - Puppet Master

Chapter 14 – Puppet Master

Skyler's POV

   Everything is starting to appear again. This scenario where we're under the old tree is haunting me. She keeps caressing me– cuddling into my chest as well. I wanted to hug her back, but I couldn't move. I really wanted to live this illusion. Where it's just me and Allison against the world. A peaceful world with no harassment. But it was different this time. I was feeling intense pain in my stomach now. Usually I'm numb and can't feel anything whenever I'm here because of the coldness of this dark world. Now, it was if the stitches were bleeding again. It must be the pain from the alcohol I drank.
   W-Wait, how did I remember that I drank alcohol? All I remember was my Father's doings. Or– all I did remember. Am I starting to remember what really happened?
   "Did you betray me, Skyler?" Allison asked, even though her voice was distorted. Her apparition was– flickering, too.
   "While you were drinking and at that party, did you?"
   I moved slightly on accident, but soon realized the scenario didn't disappear.
   "You can move around, Skyler...I won't leave your side. Speak, too, please? I'm dying to hear your broken voice," her voice became clear, and not so distorted now, "I'm sorry I left you before. I was just so scared that you'd leave me. That's why I fizzled away. That's why I didn't have you talk. I was afraid of what you'd say."
   "Y-You're controlling this place?" I stuttered, feeling quite strange to hear my own voice.
   "Yes, I am," the apparition flickered once again, "I control everything here," she told me in a bittersweet tone, pausing.
   "B-But how come if I command something to appear, it does?"
   She gave a warm smile, turning her head to face the further illusioned-world in front of us, "Think of me as your slave," I froze, staring straight at her, not able to make eye-contact, "If you wish for something, I have to obey. This is your world, after all. I'm just the– puppet, I suppose you could say."
   Puppet? What in the hell was Allison even saying?
   "Wh-What do you mean– puppet?"
   "I am subjected to care for anything you ask for in this world, Skyler,"
   I just stood there in awe, as we both were under the old oak tree.
   "In this world, everything is yours. I am yours," she turned towards me, flickering more, and so did the scenario around us.
   "Wh-Why do you keep flickering? Why is this scenario flickering?! Wh–"
   She stepped up and pressed her finger up to my lips, shushing me, "I have a secret to tell you."
   "Wh-What is it?"
   "You'll find out soon enough, my dear," she quivered, reaching up and pressing her lips on my cheek.
   And now she had me wondering what her secret was.
   ...
   "You must know my true feelings though, Skyler," she spoke with a solemn tone, "B-Before I disappear, I want you to know my true feelings," I could see her start to tear up, her eyes becoming blurry. Yet, I stayed silent.
   "I love you, Skyler. You have already done so much for me, and I just can never thank you enough for everything you've done for me," I could see streaks of tears lighting up from the sunlight, "You have saved me, Skyler, and I just know you'll still continue to for as long as we're together! We will live forever in some fucked up happiness and we'll be happy with each other forever. I just know it! I want us to live forever. So that way I will always be able to be by your side for as long as we live. If only we were immortal, so that way we could," she gripped onto my chest, she was flickering even more.
   "I can't bare to even live knowing our horrific fate though, Skyler! I just can't! We'll die! I'll die, and then you will, too! It's so unbearable! I don't want this relationship to end. Never! You're just too sweet and kind to be away from, Skyler. B-But then you disappear...Out of sight. I don't understand, Skyler. Why do you disappear on me? Why?!" she screamed, staring right into my eyes, trembling.
   "I– I don't know..."
   I felt like a fool, spouting out the truth. Most times I really just don't know why I got to bars or parties at all. Maybe I'm just making a death sentence for myself...
   She looked at me as if I were a monster, which was most-likely the truth after all.
   "Don't you know how much that hurts me? I'm so eager to see you, Skyler, and then just– Poof! You're gone! I don't understand that, Skyler! I really don't–...I just don't."
   "I'm sorry..." I looked at the ground, feeling extremely guilty.
   "You'll end up losing me one day, I just know it, if you keep acting this way..."
   "I know– I already know I will lose you. I make fucked up choices, and it makes people disappear from my life. That's just how it goes."
   "But, don't you even think about me whenever you go to those bars and parties with whoever you go with?! Don't you?! Or should I say– shouldn't you?"
   I felt more and more like a fool as she pointed out my flaws. Only a couple out of the millions I have. I was a fool to not think of her, I knew I was.
   There was silence.
   ...
   "I know what our fate is going to be, Skyler..."
   I perked my head up, looking into her eyes. Their color was faded. I noticed her skin was even more pale than it was before.
   "A-Allison I–..." I lost my voice. I suppose she made me lose my voice, but I'm not certain about it.
   "You'll find out soon enough, Skyler..." she flickered, letting go a few more tears.
   "You'll find out..."
   ...
   "Shush now, darling. Everything will be okay. Don't speak. I'll explain everything," she said in a soft tone. Her voice calmed me greatly at the moment, for some reason.
   "It's forbidden of me to tell you our fate, but– I will for you, Skyler. Just for you," she smiled, her eyes becoming more and more discolored, "We both will die. Not from old age, dear. I will die first, and then you. I won't tell how we will die–...You'll find out for yourself, my dear. You'll find out soon enough about everything. You'll find out our fate. Your's, too, because you will commit your fate," she started staring at nothing for a few moments, tearing up, "You're so stupid, Skyler..."
   I was shocked at the moment, not expecting her to say that.
   "The choices you make," she shook her head, "I don't understand them at all. The final choice you make in your life just has to be the most idiotic of them all. Even if I would be not alive anymore, you never should make that choice. Nobody should, Skyler. Why do you make such dumb choices, Skyler?" I couldn't answer her, since she made my voice go away, "I hate the choices you make, Skyler! I hate them! They're so fucking dumb! I don't understand why you make them at all! I just don't!"
   She broke down crying. The only thing I saw now was darkness, the scenario had fizzled away, but not her.
   "I don't understand you, Skyler. I just don't..." her voice was more calm now, but she was still sobbing as she stood a few feet away from me. You could hear her echo throughout the dark world, "I don't understand how you stay with me, how you stand me, how you just put up with a crybaby like me. Always whining and crying at everything that happens to me. How can you stand me? Why make a choice to even stay with me?" She was replied with silence from me. I just stared at her, seeing her flicker. Her eyes now had no color but grayness now.
   ...
   "Do you want to know my secret, Skyler?"
   ...
   "I'm dying."
   "You will remember none of this that's happened. Nothing. You won't remember me. You will just return to the real world. Back to the real me. You won't remember any of this. You will return to this little world of darkness, but you will not remember me. The puppet. Sure, you still will be able to imagine anything you want in this world. It is your world, after all," she stepped in front of me, wrapping her arms around me, "I'm dying, Skyler. You won't remember me," she looked up at me with lifeless eyes, "This is my punishment, I suppose. I'll never see you again. You won't remember anything I've said to you. Once I flicker away, you will wake up in the real world."
   She leaned up and pressed her lips against mine.
   "Take that as a symbol of relief, my dear. I will always forgive you for the choices you will make," the apparition was flickering more and more as the moments passed by, and yet she still smiled with tears streaming down her face.
   "I love you, Skyler. I will always love you no matter what happens to us. I'll always be watching; counting your dumb choices."
   ...
   "Skyler, please live a happy rest of your unfortunate life with the real-life me. Just– be happy," her voice was distorted now, as she was almost completely invisible.
   ...
   "Goodbye, my Puppet Master."
   ...
   And with that, I never remembered anything that happened.
   All except one thing...
   My choices I will make.
   ...
   My little world was gone.