Chapter 22 - The Promise Echoed

Chapter 22  The Promise Echoed

   ...

   The end of school was on this day. Allison and Skyler would both be graduating to be Seniors today. Unfortunately, it wasn't the case for both of them, however. Skyler was still in a coma, he had been for a few weeks now, possibly even a month at that. Allison stayed by his side; never leaving the hospital room; never leaving Skyler. She's awaited for so long...for his awakening. She missed his voice missed the way he always comforted her in the worst times of her life; she missed Skyler just by himself. Allison even stayed at the hospital during graduation day, hopefully seeing Skyler's icy-blue, blood-shot eyes awaken.

   ...

Allison's POV

   All I've ever heard for the past weeks were the beeping of machines, the continuous, non-stopping beeping. I've closed off visiting my therapist–...I didn't even want to see him anymore. All I wanted to see was Skyler's awakening. Was he even going to wake up? If so, when–...

   When would he finally wake up and return?!

   H-Hugging me, with his braceful arms that would crush me. Today was our graduation day– we won't get to celebrate us becoming Seniors, we won't get to go to the festival again, we wouldn't be able to see each other. Even though I could see him, he couldn't see me...

   I sat there, right beside him on the bed-side of the hospital bed. This was...All my fault. My fault for leaving Skyler that day–...My fault for leaving with Liz to go to some drinking party–...My fault for everything that Skyler's going through as of now. It's–...all my fucking fault. I looked down at Skyler, his snakebites shimmering in the lights that were shining above him. He seemed dead– but, I had a feeling he was still alive–...Just barely hanging on to his life, possibly even just with one finger. Hopefully that finger would be the promise finger–...The promise he and I made–...

   The promise to stay together...Forever...

*FLASHBACK*

   "Ugh geez. I swear, is this how much time you're going to take everyday of our lives?" I put my hands over my mouth in shock. Why would I even say such a thing? I didn't even know if we were going to be together for the rest of our lives–...I need duct-tape, and a gun, before he starts blabbing off about it. I scrunched up my face and tightened my muscles; hoping for a not-so-devious reaction from him. I couldn't see him, I closed my eyes, and hoped for him to say nothing.

   "You look like a prune," Skyler remarked, giving me a smirk from behind his shoulder. I gave a sigh of relief, and relaxed myself until–

   "You were expecting us to be together forever, hm?" he said after a few moments, making myself jerk and freeze in place, tears started to come into my eyes–...Dammit. 

   "Heh, don't worry Princess. I'm pretty sure I'll make at least that a promise. Pinky-swear me," Skyler gave a childish grin, sticking out his pinky. I sighed and looked down to the floor, giving out my pinky, making it be intertwined with his. Then I felt his fingers under my chin, lifting it up, and then feeling his snake-bites on my bottom lip.

   ...

   "Then it's a promise. We'll be together forever."

   ...

*END OF FLASHBACK*

   Skyler's voice echoed in my head...

   "Then it's a promise. We'll be together forever."