Chapter 23 - Sickness

NOTICEThese next few Chapters are meant to be shorter!
I felt like it would fit the theme and settings of the story during these Chapters.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 23 – Sickness

Skyler's POV

   I've awaited this day–...for so long. I was so grateful to hear the news. It's been a long time since I've finally been able to stand up and walk. A long time since I was able to wear my favorite band shirts and black skinny-jeans. A long time of myself finally being able to walk and talk with Allison. Today–...was that day. I would finally be reunited with all of those things. Finally–...After almost two months I can finally do these things again. I grasped Allison's hand and started to walk with her; she was limp and weak. Her sickness has gotten to the both of us; I'm feeling depressed over the fact that she's sick, but luckily it doesn't seem to be contagious. I was afraid for her though–...How come she's gotten so–...sick?
   "Sk-Skyler?"
   "Yes, Princess? Do you need another blanket?"
   "N-No. I just–...w-want you to come over here and be my– blanket," Allison could've been blushing, but her cheeks were so flared up from her sickness you couldn't even tell. I tried my best to seem happy around her, but I was more depressed than rather happy. Her voice was still rough and weak, but it still brought joy to hear it again. I walked over and placed her on my lap in her bed, and started to cradle her.
   "I– hope I'm not a bother to you..."
   "How could you ever say that, Princess?"
   "I-I'm sorry. I just don't want to burden you on taking– care of me," her voice croaked.
   "No, don't ever think that. I'll always be here whenever you need me. Don't worry–...I'm–...always going to be here for you, you–...know that," I started to get choked up, myself starting to worry if she would get worse. I guess tears started to stream down my face as well, since I felt the warm streaks start to stream down my face. I looked down to see Allison's pale, limp body. Her face started to lighten up, and she smiled slightly.
   "Th-Thank you, Skyler..." I leaned down and kissed her forehead softly, hugging her tightly to me, never wanting to let go.
   "H-Hey, Skyler? I have something to–...tell you," she smiled slightly, her lagoon-blue eyes starting to shine a little more.
   "What's that, my dear?"
   "My birthday's coming up in a couple of days. I'm–...excited," she lifted her arm and held the necklace I gave her. I-I'm still surprised she's worn it ever since I put it around her neck that one day.
   "Is that so? Do you want me to plan a birthday party for you?"
   "I was thinking–...If maybe we could throw both of our birthday parties, together," she kept gasping for breath whenever she talked. I felt so bad for her. All of these emotions kept surrounding me.
   "Do you think we could do that, Sk-Skyler?"
   "It's what ever you want, Princess. Don't you worry, I'll make it the best–..." my voice started going away. I felt warm streaks start to fall again onto Allison, "th-the b-best–..." I croaked, bringing Allison closer to me, laying her head on my shoulder, and my head into her's.
   "The–...b-best birthday I..." I croaked once again. I–...Just couldn't take this torture anymore...
   I knew–...she was going to die...
   I've already seen the test scores from the doctor's.
   ...
   It's been such an unbearable life for me...
   I've lost everything...Allison was all I had now...
   And now–...
   She's going to be gone as well?
   Why...
   ...
   Why...
   "Why, goddammit?!" I screamed at the top of my lungs, holding Allison in my arms...knowing she wouldn't be alive for much longer– possibly only a few months–...weeks–...days even...
   It's killing me...
   I can't take it anymore...
   I just can't...
   And the worst part is...Allison doesn't even know she's going to die yet...
   Only I know...
   It's killing me.
   ...

*FLASHBACK*

   "Y-Yes, Doctor? Is– Is there something wrong?" I stuttered, walking into the doctor's office. The day before I came here again, Allison and I went here to have her checked up. We thought that her condition had gotten to it's breaking point. The doctor's examined her and gave tests. I guess the results were going to be given today.
   "The test results are positive– She won't recover. I'm–...sorry for your loss, Mr. Richardson."
   I was frozen in utter shock–
   Allison...Sh-She–...was going to die?!
   "I would recommend not telling her. You should go home and see her for the amount of time she has left. It's a rare disease, it's happened to only a few people. It's still unknown, however. We never could find out what causes the symptoms. But, it damages the heart and lungs– to where the point they will just quit on her one day. Once again, I'm–...dearly sorry for your loss. Go now, give her the best life remaining in her time. Just go," The doctor stood up, and pointed to the door, I could see that he had started to tear up, himself. I already knew tears were streaming down my cheeks by that time, too.
   "Th-Thank you, sir."
   I rushed out of the hospital, quickly running to my car, holding my head low the whole time. I climbed into Allison's vehicle, putting my head on the steering wheel, completely giving up hope and my own life–...Practically wanting to die right there and now.
   But–...Allison–...I knew I needed to give her the best remaining time in her life I ever could.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

    "Sk-Skyler..." I heard Allison's faint voice mumble, as I was crying violently onto her, "Is–...Is something wrong?"
   I nodded into her head, but I still kept her fate a secret from her–...I wouldn't dream of telling that to her.
   "D-Don't–...worry, Princess. Everything's–...a-alright–..." I lied. Everything wasn't okay. She was going to die!
   "Do– Do you want to do anything special for your birthday besides both of ours being celebrated?" I tried to change the subject.
   "Sk-Skyler– M-Make me a p-promise please."
   "Y-Yes, my Princess? Wh-What is it?"
   "Promise me–...I'll be with you forever. Please–...That's my birthday wish, for us to–...be together–...forever."
   I froze in place, tears still streaming down my face, Allison's innocent, color-faded eyes gleaming up at me.
   "I–..."
   I couldn't speak. If I promised–...the promise would already be broken. Us both promised we'd be together once before–...And if I promise again–...It'll just bring more sorrow into me.
   "I–...A-Allison–..."
   "I'm–...n-not going to m-make it– Am I?" Allison looked down to the hands that were wrapped around her, and put her hands on mine. I stayed frozen...I stayed completely silent. Except for myself weeping onto her. I wanted to die along with her. It would end both of our miseries. Allison hugged me slightly, and rested her head against my chest, listening and feeling my chest pump up and down from my heavy weeping onto her.
   "I'll miss you...Skyler."
   "No! Don't...Don't you say your goodbyes. Not yet! Don't! It's...It's not over yet! You're not dying yet! You're not!" I screamed, squeezing her limp body until I could feel her bones. Allison smiled slightly, and rested up against me again. She stayed completely silent, accepting her terrible fate.
   ...
   A few more days have past, Allison's condition only getting more worse as time goes on. Time was running out...Birthday arrivals, Funeral plannings, Allison's death. Time...If only it could be stopped...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture:  Skyler