Chapter 24 - Breaking Hearts

Chapter 24 – Breaking Hearts

Skyler's POV

   "Do– you need anything, Allison?"
   She shook her head slowly, and started coughing and wheezing again. I– was hopeless. What was there I could do? Wh-What could I do?
   I crawled my way over to her side, and held her; myself trying to get her breathing back. She gasped for air as it slowly came back into her dying lungs. Tears started to come to my eyes–...I knew she was only going to get worse–...She was going to die for Christ's sake.
   Allison never talked anymore; she could hardly even breathe. She would only weakly shake her head no or yes.
   All I could do was sit helpless beside her, watching her die slowly each day, each hour, each second...
   I was dreading the day–...Whenever she wouldn't even be here anymore. I–...always had it on my mind; I could never stop thinking about her being...Gone...
   What would become of us...What has become of us?
   I've been regretting all of these days...
   All of the days I've spent with her...
   All of these heart-wrenching memories...

   Memories...
   That's all I'm going to have of her now, and her lifeless-seeming body sprawled out underneath me.
   We won't get to have any more memories together. No more days of talking together, no more precious times of dumbfounded pranks or jokes. I was planning too far ahead–...I had already planned out our future, but now–...There will be no future.
   I would never get to propose...
   Never have any celebrations together with our children.
   No promise...to stay together...forever.
   I planned too soon, and now–...Look where it's gotten me.
   Just look at Allison's lifeless body right next to me, herself trying her damnedest to stay alive.
   I saw Allison reach for a notepad and pen. She couldn't seem to reach it, so I reached over her limp body and got it for her. She opened it to the next page and started writing.
   "Can we go for a walk today?" The handwriting said.
   "Allison, you know we can't do that. You shouldn't go outside in this heat; it's too steamy, you can't breathe very well. You know we can't go," I saw hurt in her face, her innocent, faded lagoon-blue eyes started to shine with a little less life.
   "You can't promise me anything now, can you?"
   "Allison–...I just can't anymore. If I make that promise–...That one, heart-filling promise, it would only be broken, making it be a heart-breaking promise..."
   "I'll die happy though...Skyler,"
   My eyes filled up with tears–...I was starting to get enraged, yet sorrowful, at the same time...
   "No! Don't...Don't you talk about yourself dying! Not now! You're not going to die! N-Not now..." I broke down, hugging Allison's unmoving body. I could feel a slight smile slide across her pale face.
   "You're too considerate, Skyler."
   "I'm trying my–..." She reached her hand up slowly, cupping my cheek with her delicate fingers, "b-best–..." I finished, putting my hand on her's that was still on my cheek. She gazed at me, her eyes starting to gleam with pain and sadness. She slowly wrote another sentence down–...Extremely slowly.
   "L-Let's take a final walk to the light, Skyler..."
   ...
   My lungs...They felt like they were closing in on me...
   My throat...It felt like it was clenching and about to break...
   My eyes...They started to cry violently...
   My heart...Was Breaking...