FORTY-TWO (finale)

FORTY-TWO (finale)

It was a month and a few weeks after the whole kidnapping, getting beat up by my ex-boyfriend who was still devoted to my Mother. Who blamed me for ruining his relationship with her.

Not much could be said when Father found out the exact reason after he left my hospital bedside. He left to go find his wife and see whether she had anything to do with this directly.

It pained me to even think my own Mother might have had a play in orchestrating this. Even for her, it was beyond anything I could comprehend. I haven't seen her even though I was back home. And Father never said anything about her.

Lucian and his men took care of Brandon. That's all I knew. That's all I wanted to know. I didn't want to stand trial if it would come to that, and I hoped it didn't. Whatever the hell would happen to Brandon, I just hoped he could never inflict such harm to anyone as he had done to me. And with Lucian and his men in this mix, I knew that wouldn't happen.

I let out a sigh and glanced at the bags that were all packed around me. I knew I was sticking to my word. I just knew deep down in my gut whatever the hell was going on, nothing could fix it unless I just got the hell away. I didn't want it to be fixed to be frank, but I just wanted to go away and maybe pretend that with time everything would heal.

Versa and Nolan had visited me plenty after the awkward time at the hospital the first day. They apologised, explained how they shouldn't have expected me to be jolly the instant I saw them. But it felt wrong because to me, they were nothing but loving. It was I who just couldn't see anything, feel anything.

Palmer on the other hand, daily cupcakes were coming from her. And it was all filled with love and care that whenever I took one in my mouth, I would burst into tears. She would come everyday, sit with me and help me heal. She would do what I expected any Mother would do.

Link.

I never saw him again after that first day.

It was like my kind forced itself to erase everything to do with Link everyday but all the memories kept coming back. All my thoughts swirled around him and everything he brought with himself. 

It's been more than a month and the silence from Link was what I've been hoping for, for the past year. Now that I had it, it felt weird. I was still jacked, I was fuming and I still wanted to shout at him. Just corner him and let everything out.

I pulled my feet slowly across my room towards the last bag that was still open. It wasn't exactly filled to the top but it was getting there. I was taking my stuff even though I didn't want to. But I had to be realistic and know that I couldn't just get up leave without any stuff to get me by until I found a stable job.

A knock came on my door and I turned my head to see my Father slowly opening the door.

We stared at each other for a long time before any of us said anything. We didn't speak much after we both broke down on each other in the hospital. He came to me everyday though, checked to see if I was okay and brought me anything I needed. But he did it all without saying much.

"Could you come down to my office please?" He asked me carefully, his eyes giving me a once-over. I still had a bandage wrapped at my middle torso but nothing hurt anymore. I also still had scratches visible on my forehead and my whole arm but it was all obscured with the long-sleeved top I was wearing.

"Sure," I nodded at him.

I walked away from the bag and slowly followed him downstairs and into his office.

Once we were inside, he closed the door behind him. I didn't know why he would do that since we were the only ones home-

"Your Mother is in the living room."