Chapter 31: Truth or Consequence

Start from the beginning

      Not turning around, he kept ignoring her as if she didn’t matter. He didn’t want to see her caught up in her own web of lies. Secrets that he never thought she’d keep from him - things that he learned firsthand from the mouth of a different person.

      Giving up Sharee told Carlos as she walked away, “I’ll be inside if you want to talk.”

      Perhaps the only way was to give him time, but every wordless second that passed by was drawing closer to point where she’d never be too courageous to talk to him again. She opened the door, and for the first time, didn’t lock it behind her.

      The door almost hit her when it opened not a second after she closed it. When she turned around, she realized Carlos had followed her as she got in.

      “Sit down,” Carlos pointed to the chair.

      In her most compliant state, Sharee obeyed, but stood up again even before her butt found a comfortable spot to sink into the cozy sofa, “I’ll go get you some coffee.”

      “I don’t want anything to drink. Sit,” Carlos spoke in a tone which Sharee didn’t like. The romance in his voice had disappeared.

      Carlos was all new to her all of a sudden.

      Hands crossed, she let herself fall onto the sofa as she felt herself shrink. Biting her lips, she chose to let him do the talking this time. She waited for her inevitable lecture.

      “You could start by explaining to me why you chose to almost die in a fire instead of being with me at the party,” Carlos’ eyes were punching holes through her.

      She couldn’t, because she would then have to start over from the very beginning by telling him that she received a text message from someone, telling her to get her ass at the windmill to almost get raped, which she partially did, but then again, that would require her to explain why she would go through all that trouble just to get raped. She’d then have to admit that she stole something at the police station for her crooked, unofficial ex-boyfriend’s own devious purposes, which would add Leon to the already complicated equation, which she couldn’t solve, for mathematics has never been her forte. Eventually, she’d have to explain to Carlos that she and Dante go way, way back before they got together, and give Carlos the disturbing thought of Dante screwing her a million times before he was secretly thrown into prison. To recap, she’d have to tell Carlos that Dante broke out of prison, tell him the hard part that she chose not to arrest him despite him being a criminal, and her, a fully-pledged cop.

      Carlos found himself leaning on his back on the sofa as he was bombarded with everything she mustered to tell him. Sharee tried her best to explain all of it, wrapping it up with a million apologies and an awkward silence that followed after she finished her version of the story.

      “I know this makes me no better than him, but please understand. He’s innocent,” Sharee pleaded him to think it over and find it in him to forgive her.

      Choosing to leave the part where Dante kissed her in the middle of the fire out, she thought better of it and still kept back some minor details that could hurt Carlos.

      His face was blank. There’s only so much the brain can absorb at school but he’s done attending classes. Carlos was professionally qualified to understand what his role is in this whole jigsaw puzzle they’re trying to solve. He was the last missing piece that completed the image.

      He was the rebound.

      And he didn’t need Sharee to say it for him to know.

      The majestic curtains congratulated Sharee for a job well done as it waved upon getting hit by the breeze coming out of the electric fan. Finally, she had one less thorn stuck in her throat. On the contrary, it came with a price.

      Standing up, Sharee did the same as Carlos got out of his seat.

      “I love you,” Carlos let go of one of the most overused phrase in the world.

      “I love you too,” Sharee came close, hoping that Carlos is finally in the mood for a sorry kiss, “Please forgi-”

      But Carlos, stopping her by gently pushing her back, wasn’t finished saying what he wanted to say.

      “I love you,” a drop of tear was about to fall, “I’m breaking up with you.”

      All of a sudden, everything seemed to be painted in water color.

      Strokes of blue were prevalent in the canvas, though the blood that flowed from any bleeding heart was usually red. Sharee’s cheek was numb to feel Carlos’ hand caress it before he inched towards the door. He let his tears flow after turning around. Thinking he had enough, Carlos decided to let Sharee wait for Dante all by herself if he’s ever coming.

      He didn’t want to see him.

      His presence was an insult.

      Only after Carlos drove away did Sharee realize that he was no longer in front of him. She was left standing in the middle of the living room, lips trembling, but no tears.

      It was over.

      Just like that.

      She made no move to sway him. She didn’t plead for him to stay.                                 Nobody could ever blame him, for he was blind to all of it. All the time spent together, all the dinners, and the love, all seemed to be part of Sharee’s cover to him. One lesson in a long-lasting relationship was that transparency produces a stronger bond.

      No lies. No secrets.

      But it’s too late now.

____________________________________________________________________

      Somewhere, the smudged setting sun smiled one last time over a dislodged wheel some few meters away from a wrecked motorcycle it was formerly attached to.