Chapter 40

Ruth-

I was almost to Mexico when I realized I would be spending more time on the water than I wanted. I had been out on the water for a few weeks now, so I got off in Alabama, very little trouble there, mostly Walkers, I was able to avoid the people here, which the community here was just one very big one. I scoped it out at one point, stole some food and water from them, then went on my way, to Mississippi; it always took me a few days, close to a week to leave a state, that was always depending on the direction I went, how big the state was, how much I rested, and on how much trouble I ran into slowing me down.

I finally arrived in Arkansas, and was very stupidly hurt. I was approaching day two of being in the state, so I only had more day of traveling until I was out of Arkansas. So basically what happened, was I taken by surprise, by a group Walkers. Since I didn't have my bow anymore, I couldn't take them from a distance, and they had already seen me, and were coming at me. I took out a few of the closest ones, until stumbling over a tree root, and falling, tumbling, rolling, down a very high, and long incline. I got to the bottom, completely dazed and confused, as I tried to get out of here, away from the Walkers that had followed me down the slope; when I realized one of my arrows had embedded into my left leg, and another that went straight through the meat of the same leg, and my right shoulder. Are you freaking kidding me?

I limped away as quickly as possible, as the pain shot through my leg, distracting from the pain in my shoulder. I could hear a few Walkers growling behind me, but I didn't take the time to look back, and see if I was being followed. All I knew was I needed to find somewhere to hide for the night. I continued hobbling along, I could feel my arrow rubbing against the bone in my leg, but I couldn't pull it out, it broke off leaving less than an inch exposed. In the confusion, I had no clue where I was headed, I was tripping over myself, probably going to get myself killed. In that moment Walker bumped into me, throwing me off balance, falling on top of me, impaling itself on the arrow in my shoulder. It's thrashing around, and trying to eat me, basically the pain paralyzed my arm. I struggled to keep the Walker's snapping, hungry, jaws from my flesh. I was about to give up and let it eat me, when a bolt  stuck into the top of its head, and it fell limp on top of me.

I panted in exhaustion and honestly relief, as I laid there for a moment to collect myself.

"You alive under there?" A gruff voice said as it approached me, I lifted my head to look at my rescuer." Were you bit?" He crouched down looking at me.

"No." I spoke softly. He yanked the Walker off me, a yelp escaping my mouth, as the arrow ripped from my shoulder.

"Oh, looks like you two were attached." He sat me up, looking at the hole in my shoulder.

"Yeah." I nodded in pain. He held a rag against my bleeding shoulder.

"Hold that, and follow me, I have a place I could patch ya up." He scooped his arm under mine and helped me to my feet." Doesn't look like you'll be able to walk all that way." He swiftly scooped me up in his arms, and carried me through the woods, for what felt like hours, until we came across, an old wooden cabin.

The fence around the cabin was sturdy, and had thick wooden spikes surrounding the outside of the fence, the gate was two big metal doors. He carried me, revealing a thriving garden, a few cows, and chickens; he had this place all to himself, and wasn't bothered by anything or anyone. He carried me inside the cabin, setting me down on the nearby couch in the living room." Stay there, I'll go get my first aid kit." He seemed nervous and uneasy, but so would I having a completely stranger in my house, that I found all alone.