Chapter 27

Ruth-

"I want everyone to start collecting their belongings, I want all the bed sheets collected, and I want everyone to have a firearm." Rick spoke to everyone in the meeting hall." Get going I want to leave at first light tomorrow." Everyone left except for a choice few, Daryl and I being part of that group." I want some of you to stay here and defend this place, I'll be staying behind as well, if a defense fails we have an escape route." Rick hobbled around with his cane looking at every one of us.

"Won't they just follow us." Dwight spoke up.

"I hope not, I want some one on the wall at all hours, and we need a patrol outside keeping an eye out for the horde. Three shots, means the horde, got it. You can leave." Rick limped back over to the table, I felt bad for Rick, he had been through a lot to keep this place, and now there was a possibility he was going to lose it for sure this time.

Everyone was busy loading up the caravan's, we were taking the horses, it was quieter than vehicles. I put a few changes of clothes in my bag, my sister's bracelets, the envelope of pictures, and the journal I had put all the scrap paper my family had written on. I took the antlers off my olive coloured jacket and attached them to the hood on my black hoodie. I sighed as I pulled my hoodie on, I took my pack downstairs hanging it by the door. I put my bow onto my back, along with my arrows, I adjusted my belt, securing my knife in its sheath by my side. Daryl hung a pack next to mine, then turned to me handing me a gun. I practically jumped back at the sight of it.

"Take it." Daryl held it out to me.

"No, no, I can't." I breathed.

"I would feel a lot better if you had one." Daryl said.

"You don't get it, I can't." I blinked back tears.

"Why?" He asked irritated.

"My sister, that's the reason, I killed her, so I ditched my gun, and I haven't used one, since Brandon. I can't have a gun Daryl." I huffed and went outside, going over to the garden, helping harvest the last of it.

We got everything loaded up and ready to go, just waiting for first light. I sat outside on the porch, I didn't know where Daryl was at this point, I kinda lost track of him. I pulled a pack of homemade cigarettes out of my pocket, one of the older men made them to trade for food and other things. He left me a few packs, because I would sit and talk with him. No one knew I smoked, I usually didn't, but I was just stressed the hell out and needed to take off the edge. I lit the cigarette and inhaled deeply, the smoke filling my lungs. I slowly exhaled playing with the smoke, letting it go up my nose, then I slowly released the smoke letting it surround my head.

"Mind if I have one?" That gruff voice sent chills down my body, I looked behind me seeing Daryl standing in the doorway. I gestured my hand, and he came over sitting next to me. I handed him a cigarette and lighter, he lit it up.

We sat in silence as we burned our cigarettes, I played with my smoke, making smoke rings, letting the smoke flow out of my mouth. Daryl sucked his cigarette down, stomped it out, and stood to his feet, kissing the top of my head before going back inside. I smiled lightly at his sweetness, He may hate me more, but he could never love me less.