Chapter 44

Ruth-

The sun started to peek over the horizon through the trees, as I blocked the light from my eyes. I rubbed my eyes, getting the sleep out, I stood up looking around seeing my small group still trying to wake up. We were just a flank group, hidden on the side of the wall, that was less visible from the road. Sasha was part of my group, along with Carl. Daryl led the other flank group on the other side, Eugene part of his group. Dwight had the rest of our army at the front of the gate, his group was smaller than ours, we had the majority of the army. I didn't want to be separated from him, after just barely reuniting with him, but we did what we had to do, we would be together again. I wondered a few yards into the woods, and threw up behind a tree. I was feeling at my worst, I don't know if it was the thought killing a lot of people at any moment, or what, but I hated feeling this way.

Saviors were close by, I could feel it, the tone of the day just made it feel that way. That's when I heard the roar of engines, and I snapped my fingers several times, everyone quickly getting to their feet, getting their guns. I readied my new bow, that Daryl helped me make; my old one, I hung on my wall above my dresser.

"Sash, you got the radio?" I spoke quietly to her as she stood at the ready next to me.

"Yeah." She answered," we don't know how big of a group we're dealing with here."

"Well, well, well." A man's voice filled the air, but we held our ground," Dwight, nice to see you again." Sasha gestured me to go look, I peered around the wall, seeing a very large group of the Saviors." Now's your chance to surrender, and we go back to the good old days."

"No, I don't think so, we're here to end this." Dwight answered back.

"Alright, well we got the prisoners, a few of your own, so maybe you'll change your mind." Four men were set before us, shoved to their knees, I examined their faces, Mark was in the line, two others I didn't know, and Tucker. I wanted to run out to him and save him, but I couldn't give away our flank. Please be okay, please be okay." Grab that cry baby." The man pointed to Mark," okay, we're starting with this one, what's your name?"

"Mark, please, please." Mark whimpered

"Ohhh, Mark I remember you, that's a face I could never forget." He swiped his knife across Mark's throat, Dwight didn't even flinch. Do something damn it. He made his way through the other two men, then approached Tucker. Dwight stood with his jaw clenched, as I watched the man practically dance over to my brother.

"Do something." I whispered over and over again.

"And who do we have here," he circled my brother, who stayed on his knees with his head lowered," got a name kid?" He stayed silent. Dwight, do something, I readied my bow, as the man started to rough up Tucker." You don't want your people to save you?" Tucker wouldn't look at the man," god damn, what did you do to these people?" The man looked at Dwight," they're practically begging to die." I saw his knife reflect the sun, and gesture it toward Tucker." You know what I think I'll make it quick for him." That's when I stepped out, and Tucker's eyes fell on me, he gave me that same awkward smile, and a slight nod. The man then put a gun to Tucker's head and pulled the trigger. I literally felt like I was just punched in the chest, I couldn't breathe, my eyes filled with tears.

It felt like I had just gotten my brother back, and now I lost him again, this time there was no way he was coming back. He died right in front of me and I couldn't do a thing about it, except kill the son of a bitch that did it. I held up my bow with an arrow at the ready, and released it, it plunged into the man's forehead, and he fell back onto the ground, that's when the gunfire started. I ducked back with my group, waiting for our signal, the gunfire went back and forth, until I heard Dwight yelling a retreat. Confused we went back through the secret doors we had hidden along the sides of the walls.