Chapter 26

Ruth-

Time moved on, our patrols getting more and more intricate. Dwight was the leader of our small army, making it more organized and larger. Dwight chose to stop leading the Saviors, so we were completely disconnected from them now. We were preparing for the Whisperers, things were getting pretty ridiculous around here. Rick had signs posted on the walls saying, SILENCE THE WHISPERERS, someone was shot because of it. The signs were posted so people would have somewhere to focus their anger, instead of at Rick. Dwight led groups out to practice everyday, get their shots spot on. Father Gabriel recently joined our army, and he was a very good shot, it made me a little wary of him, but at least he was helping. Today we were out setting up our posts, figuring out good positions to watch for Whisperers. Father Gabriel, Sasha, and I were sent out to the water tower to keep an eye out, while several others were sent out to go talk to our other communities for help, we were all in a hurry to get to our positions.

I ran along side Father Gabriel, Sasha on my other side, as we made our way to the water tower." Dear God keep us safe." Gabriel said quietly.

"Gabriel, just keep your eyes ahead, we don't need any mistakes." I said nudging his shoulder. He jumped up the very tall ladder quickly, I climbed onto the catwalk, Sasha close behind, setting up with her rifle, and looked out at the horizon. I wasn't sure what I was seeing, Father Gabriel climbed up looking at what I was looking at.

"What is that?" I looked at Sasha as she peered through her scope.

"Oh my God." Gabriel whimpered and started to head down the ladder.

"Gabriel wait." I looked down and saw him fall, his foot catching in the ladder, and his ankle busting open, exposing bone.

I grabbed Sasha throwing her down and we laid flat on the catwalk as the dead approached, Beta coming up to the screaming Gabriel. He whispered something to Gabriel then sliced his knife across Gabriel's stomach, his guts falling out. The dead approached and started eating him, I dropped my face into my sleeve, not wanting to look anymore, waiting for the dead to leave. Trying to ignore the sounds of them ripping his flesh off, the sound of them chewing and eating it. After what felt like an hour, it was finally silent, the dead had left, I looked down, seeing Gabriel still hanging from the ladder. I'm sure I had missed my window to warn everyone, but I pulled out the small mirror and reflected the sun from it. I climbed down the ladder and hopped over Gabriel, Sasha standing next to me, I moved my hand up, down, and across my chest, before stabbing him in the head. We quickly followed after the group of the dead that was headed for Dwight and the army. I saw them in the distance, keeping my eyes moving back and forth, just in case some of the Whisperer's were behind them, keeping watch for a behind attack.

I saw a lone Whisperer come out of the tree line, and I quickly grabbed him, cutting off his air supply. After I was sure he was out I pulled off his mask, and stabbed him in the head, quickly pulling off his skin suit and pulled it on to myself. I hesitated as I held the skin mask in front of me, looking over the dried dead skin, this was a person at one point in time.

"Thank you." I said to the mask as I pulled it on to my head." Cut through the woods, go find the group." Sasha nodded and I grabbed her arm," be careful." I warned and she left, and I quickly joined the small Walker army.

I needed to take the Whisperer's out, and lead these walkers away before they get to my home. I came up behind one of the Whisperer's and started there, slitting throats, stab to the back of the head, take someone's mask off, feed them to the dead. I was now leading this small group back to where they came from. I ditched the group and headed for the gunfire I heard in the distance. I approached another group of walker's, and saw one Whisperer that had long black dreadlocks hanging out of the back of her mask. Michonne. So they had the same idea I had. Once Michonne and a couple other people from our army were leading the walker's I came up to her, pulling my mask off.