Chapter 16

Daryl-

I wasn't sure what to do with myself, I wasn't sure how to accept the affection Ruth was giving me either. I was sitting upstairs on my bed now, trying to collect myself, I had been torn apart today. I had sat by Maggie's side through the whole process of trying to get Hershel Jr. here, it was very hard mentally, emotionally, and physically. It was emotion I had never experienced before, it was close to a full day of trying to keep her calm and comfortable. The whole entire time I thought about this child's future, never knowing who his dad was, Glenn never getting to hold his baby for the first time, all these things bothered me to no end. The moment that baby started to cry, and he was put into Maggie's arms, I knew this baby would know who his dad was. Maggie and the rest of us would share all our memories of Glenn with this baby. After I had gotten passed all that, Beth and Carol came tearing through my mind like a freight train. Beth getting shot in the head, Carol... still something I wasn't ready to remember. Ruth being shot, it felt like I had been shot, when she was taken from my arms, and taken into a room where I couldn't be with her. In the moments I was waiting for her to wake up, I had given up, I was only sitting by her waiting for her turn. When she didn't, I felt bad for thinking she was gone, but so happy that she was okay.

I had a very crazy up and down day, I never gave Ruth an answer either. Did I want to be alone, or did I want her with me. I could tell she was trying her best to read between the lines with me, but I didn't even know what I wanted. I opened my door, and saw Ruth sitting across from my room, with her knees curled up, her crossed arms rested on top, and he head laying in her arms, she was asleep. I went over and picked her up, taking her to my room, laying her in my bed. I went downstairs, and into the bathroom. I looked in the long mirror on the back of the door. I just turned around took off my pants and got into the shower cleaning myself off better. After I was finished I wrapped myself in a towel and went back up to my room. I turned on the lamp, and quietly pulled a pair of sweats on, turned off the lamp, and climbed into bed next to Ruth. She was out for the count, that was something I liked about her, when she slept, she was always so peaceful and content in her sleep. I always wondered what she dreamed about, was it pleasant, was it nothing at all? Or was she plagued with nightmares, that she just ignored.

We were facing each other in my bed, she had her legs curled up and she held the blanket tightly nuzzled up to her face. He hair rested wildly around her head, a few strands on her face, I very lightly moved them from her face. She rubbed her cheek, then relaxed back into my pillow, that I rarely used. Watching her sleep I don't think it would ever get old, she was just very interesting to watch. I scooted closer to her, her knees rested on top of my thighs, I draped my arm over her, the blanket still covering her, and pressed my forehead to the top her head, closing my eyes. I took in her smell, relaxing into the shape of her body.

-------

Hey guys another short chapter, but kind of a cute one, hope you liked it!