Chapter 23

Ruth-

"He isn't crazy." I stated to Rick as I sat down in the meeting hall across from him at the table.

"How do you know?" Rick crossed his hands in front of him.

"Because I've been with these people before." I said," the Whisperer's, I was part of their group at one point." I looked down at my hands ashamed.

"You were part of their group?" Rick stood up making the chair screech against the floor, as he looked down at me," the fair is in a few days, we can't have these people get in the way of this, we can't cancel this now." Rick said angrily.

"Look you won't have to worry about them coming here trust me, but I know what they can do, I know what they are." I explained.

"Tell me everything." Rick said darkly.

---------

The day of fair finally arrived, I opened my eyes to a new day, strong arms wrapping around me.

"Good morning." I sighed.

"Mornin." He whispered against my skin, soft kisses pressed to my cheek then my neck.

"Not today." I rolled on to my back," I have to get the last of the produce harvested, and I have to help cook some of the food."

"Well if I'm not going to see you today, that's more of a reason to do it." He climbed on top of me kissing me softly.

"But I need to go." He firmly pressed his lips to mine, not allowing me to break away this time. I gave in.

After I got cleaned up and dressed, I headed out to the garden. I had my usual tattered up jeans, my dingy tee shirt that had a faded tree print on the front, and my bandana tied to my belt loop. I gathered the last ripe tomatoes, carrots, the peppers everything that was ripe, even the watermelon's. I was bummed that I wasn't able to go with my dad to his community, I had gotten too busy, talking to Mark, the garden, and spilling what I knew about the Whisperers. It was something I hadn't told Daryl about. I pushed the wheelbarrow over to the pantry where it was counted and washed. I was recruited into the kitchen to pop popcorn and add the flavoring to it, just last minute things. It was slightly after noon when I stepped out of the pantry ladies house. There were so many people here. I walked over to my house to get clean clothes on for the fair. Then I saw Rick, Michonne, and Sasha take off on their horses. I ran over to King Ezequiel.

"What's going on?" I watched them close up the gate after they left.

"Carl left after the Whisperer's, something about a girl."  I nodded and figured I'd let them deal with this, until they actually needed me.

"Daryl, are you here?" I called out as I closed the door.

"Upstairs." He called back to me, I went upstairs as I wiped the sweat from my forehead.

"Hey what're you doing?" I peeked my head into his room.

"Why didn't you tell me about the Whisperers?" He had a tinge of anger in his voice.

"What do you mean?" I played dumb, I didn't want to immediately give anything away.

"You were part of the Whisperers." He said darkly." Why didn't you tell me?" He was angry, but I could tell he was also hurt.

"I don't know, it's just not the proudest moment of my life." I confessed," they're like animals Daryl, I had to change, I became some I didn't like, someone I didn't recognize when I was with them, that's why I left." I didn't even feel worthy to touch him at this point." Daryl, I'm sorry, is that what you want me to say?" I looked at him frustrated, but he wouldn't look at me.