Chapter 28

Ruth-

I woke up on the couch, my leg propped over the back of it, my clothes thrown everywhere, a blanket tossed over me. I sat up stiffly, my arm asleep; it was hanging off the couch all night. Man, that, I don't know what to call it, impending doom sex, or was it just make up sex? It was rough, it was great, it was earth shattering. I rubbed my crusty eyes and headed for the bathroom. I splashed water on my face, and looked in the mirror, my hair was an absolute disaster, I had bruises on my lower back, rug burn on my shoulder, I looked awful. I'm sure Daryl was just as roughed up, probably bite marks and bruises. I patted my face dry, and went out to the living room looking for my bra and underwear at least. By the time I found them, and got dressed it had to be about noon, that means the group going to the Kingdom was long gone by now. Daryl wasn't here either, must've gone out already I guess. I pulled on some jeans, a loose gray t-shirt, and my hoodie. I went back to the living room seeing that Daryl's vest was on the couch where I had been laying. Weird seeing his vest, not on him. I grabbed the vest and pulled it on, then grabbed my bow and arrows before going outside over to the gate where Rick was standing.

"Mornin'." He looked at me.

"Good morning, where's Daryl?" I asked casually.

"He went out to patrol the area with Dwight." He said.

"When will they be back?" I asked.

"Should be-" three gunshots erupted into the air." Get into position now!" Rick yelled loudly getting everyone's attention. Everyone grabbed their guns and ran to the wall. I climbed up the slope of dirt we had set against the walls, and looked over it, hearing what sounded like the ocean. Then it came over the road into view, the horde Rick was talking about." Get that sheet hung over the gate!" Rick ordered a few people who were quickly tying sheets to the gate.

I quickly climbed down over to Rick," you think they made it to the Kingdom?" He looked at me anger in his eyes.

"Of course they did." I knew the anger, Judith and Michonne were in that group headed for the Kingdom, they had to make it.

I ran to the house for my pack, pulling it on, I fastened my belt and secured my knife. I ran back toward the wall, carrying a crate of the homemade bombs, that were just bottles of liquor, with cloth hanging out of them. So they weren't really bombs, just fire starters. I climbed up the slope handing a bottle to everyone, along with matches. One of the fires that was about a mile from us was lit, must've been Dwight and Daryl, good their okay. I noticed a large group of Walker's break off, but most of them were still headed for us.

"If these walls don't hold-" one of the guys started.

"Then we know our escape plan." I said to him, and looked back at the sea of Walker's headed for us.

"Go! Go!" Rick yelled and our small group lit the bottles and chucked them into the trees as far as we could. We had set up a large pile of wood in the road, and it quickly lit up, it would hopefully hold back the Walker's.

The plan was the fire would get rid of the walkers but if there was too many, our escape plan would be used. We watched as the walkers stumbled into the fire, screeching in the flames." Ruth." Rick called to me, I slid down and stood up in front of him," we have those walkers ready?" He asked.

"Yeah, they're in the holding cell, chained up." I said.

"You and Mark go get them." He ordered.

"Mark." I yelled and he quickly followed me to the holding cell. I grabbed the chain, and Mark unlocked it, I pulled the Walkers along with me over to the gate, where Rick waited.

He cut a slit into every sheet we had piled on the ground, everyone pulled one on, and we got started on our escape plan. We killed the walkers we had chained up, then cut them open and rubbed the Walker muck all over the sheets. I pulled one on, and started to cover myself in the muck, I hated the smell, but I knew it would keep me safe.

"Rick are you wanting us to leave now?" Mark asked.

"I think it's for the better, we lock the gate before we leave, and hope it stays standing." Rick said as he started walking for the gate. He unlocked it," lets go." We all quickly filed out, and got the gate locked back up.

We started walking for the Kingdom as several Walkers got past the fire. We had cars parked closely around the gate, the only way in was through the fire, and since there were so many of them they were just walking over each other. As we walked through the woods to the Kingdom, the walkers started to surround us, there were a lot of them, the further we went, the more I started to get the picture of just how huge this Walker army was. It was so loud as we walked through them, it was mind boggling how many of them there were. The longer and deeper we got into this horde, the more unsafe I felt, I started to rub some of the Walker guts on my face, to cover up more of my smell. I swear we had been in the horde for more then two hours, this horde was thick, and I had no clue if we were getting to the end. Finally I saw a break in the horde, hopefully the end of it. We got to the opening, and it was the end, just a few stragglers, I had no clue if the remaining Whisperer's were in that horde somewhere, but the sooner I got away from this the happier I would be.

As we continued on our way to the Kingdom, I started to think about Daryl. He was on the other side of that horde with Dwight, would he be able to make it past the horde, or through, or around it. What if he was attacked by Beta, what if Beta was in this horde somewhere, he would definitely try to kill Dwight and Daryl if he saw them. Now my thoughts were getting to me, maybe he made it across before the horde got anywhere near him, maybe he was already there. The way things have been going though, I couldn't be too hopeful about his survival. This was Daryl Dixon I was talking about, he was a survivor, a fighter, he would make it.

We arrived at the gates, just as the sun was positioned to set, they let us in and everyone was reunited with family and loved ones. I looked around, slowly examining everyone, trying to see if he was here. Sasha approached me.

"Have you seen him?" I said to her a little hysteric.

"No, was he with anyone?" Sasha asked.

"Dwight." I stated. Sasha was silent," is Dwight here?" Anger started to build as she nodded.

"Where, where is he?" I looked around, and pulled the nasty sheet off of me.

"Over there, at the infirmary." Sasha pointed over to the building that was the infirmary. I stomped my way over there, Sasha following closely, as I went inside seeing Dwight sitting on one of the beds.

"You son of a-" I punched him as hard as I could," he was with you!" I kept hitting him over and over, Sasha kept grabbing my arms trying to stop me, until one of the guards grabbed me tightly.

"He helped me escape, he covered me in Walker guts, and shoved me in this direction." Dwight explained." He stayed behind, to lead the walkers away."

"Why didn't you make him come back, why didn't you stay?!" I tried to fling myself at him again.

"He was giving me a chance and I took it." Dwight was holding up his hand trying to protect himself. The guards dragged me out of the infirmary, and I started to hyperventilate, tears streaming down my face.

Rick wrapped his arms tightly around me, and after a moment I shoved him away.

"I can't be here, I can't, I need to get out of here." I panted.

"No Ruth, you aren't thinking clearly-" Rick started.

"No! For the first time I am, He's gone, I can't be here, I'll only think of him if I stay here, I have to go." I started to walk passed him," I'm going to my dad." I started to walk when Sasha grabbed my arm and stopped me.

"Ruth, don't do this, anger makes you stupid, and stupid gets you killed." Sasha spoke softly.

"I'm not angry, I'm broken." I stated and I continued walking.

"Ruth, Ruth wait, please." I stopped, and Rick handed me a map." This is where your dad's community is, this is where we are, you're gonna need a horse to get there before dark." Carl brought a horse to me, and I took the reigns from his hands.

"Thank you." I hugged them both, including Sasha, and hopped onto the horse, taking off full speed to my dad's community.