Chapter 18

Rue-

There was a loud pounding on the front door, both of us snapping awake, shuffling around a little disoriented. Daryl's hair was a mess, I'm sure I didn't look any better.

"Just get out, I need to get dressed." I pushed him out of my room, slamming the door shut. I leaned against the door and sighed, I pushed my crazy hair back out of my face, and smiled. That all night make out session actually happened.

I got dressed and collected my things into my pack. I wore a red v-neck, and patched up skinny jeans. I looked at the bottom of my closet and saw the feet contraptions called shoes. I had found them while I was out alone, but I never wore them, I would be today. I stuffed, the Punisher shirt, and a few other shirts, my dad's bible, and the other essentials into my pack. I went downstairs, and sat on the couch stuffing my feet into the converse, ugh they felt weird. Daryl was standing on the porch talking to Rick and Michonne, Carl standing at a distance listening in. They left, and Daryl stepped in, looking me over.

"Ready?" He said.

"Yeah, I guess, still debating on these shoes." I stood on my feet awkwardly. He smirked at me.

"I like 'em." He pecked me on the cheek, then bashfully grabbed his crossbow and went out to the RV.

"You have a weeks worth of food, and supplies, guns, ammo, blankets." Rick listed.

"Alright, lets go." Daryl said, Rick giving us both hugs, then Michonne a tight hug and a kiss that I couldn't help but watch.

We headed for the Hilltop, getting there by midday. We filed out of the RV, I headed straight for Maggie to look at little Hershel. Everyone else loaded up the extra food and supplies that Jesus brought.

"You want to hold him now before you leave?" Maggie asked kindly. I nodded and she gently rested the small bundle of rolls into my arms. As he nuzzled in, my heart started racing, this was so nerve wracking, what do you do with a baby? I studied his squishy face, his thick dark locks, his long tiny fingers, that stuck out of his blanket. Man this was something I hadn't seen in a very long time, after this trip I would need to see this baby again. I'm sure things have just gotten uglier out there. I handed little Hershel back to Maggie and hugged her, patting his little head before leaving.

"Everybody on?" Daryl looked back at the anxious group. Michonne, Sasha, and Jesus.

We started our travels, driving for a few hours before the sun set." We'll camp here tonight." Daryl announced.

"Whose taking first watch?" I asked.

"I will, it'll be nice to get out of this RV for a while." Sasha hopped up with her rifle on her back grabbing an apple and a few rounds. She quickly went out climbing on to the roof of the RV.

We all settled in Daryl and I laid in the back on the floor, Jesus laid on the bed that was behind me, and Michonne laid out on the bench across from the door. I looked at Daryl, his face calm, his breathing deep.

"Daryl." I said quietly. He opened his eyes and scooted a little closer to me." Thank you." I smiled. He smirked back, draped his arm over my waist, and softly kissed my forehead, as he returned to sleep.

-------

"Alright, someone needs to stay here, and the rest of us will go in." Jesus instructed.

"I'll stay here, and watch your backs." Sasha volunteered.

"Okay, c'mon." Daryl gestured.

Daryl and Jesus took the lead, Michonne and I walking behind them. I had my bow and an arrow ready, as we neared the small town. It was completely empty, not even a single walker was wondering the streets. The first building was checked by Jesus and Daryl, Michonne and I stood outside the shop. A few minutes later they came out.

"Nothing, just a suicide." Jesus said." But I think you should go in and check the other buildings, we don't know what your dad looks like."

"Okay." We checked every single building, absolutely nothing, no supplies, no walkers, no people, no sign of camps. We came to the last one that was locked down tight. The windows were boarded up, the door wouldn't budge either.

"Do we just move on?" Michonne spoke up.

"No I have to know." I banged on the boards of the window loudly. There was banging and growling heard inside. I went over to the hardware store, and found a sledge hammer, I propped it on my shoulder and carried it back to the boarded shop." You don't have to help." I said looking at all of them.

I swung the hammer as hard as I could against one board, it fell down, but the walkers still couldn't get out. I swung again, and again, until finally it was opened up enough for them to fall over each other out the window. I shot my arrows at the ones inside, and plunged my knife into the ones on the ground, Daryl's bolts hitting a few before I could. When it was finally silent, I put my bow onto my back and pulled out my machete. I climbed over the wall and stepped inside. I skimmed over the dead rotting faces, lingering on one.

"Find him?" Daryl said peeking his head through the window.

"No, he's not here. Let's go." I stepped over the wall onto the sidewalk, noticing my shoes were covered in thick Walker muck. I scrapped my shoes against the curb then headed back to the RV.

We ended up looking through another small town, nothing. We camped outside the town for the night, in the RV. Jesus taking the shift this time. I quickly fell asleep, Daryl laying next to me, with his head against my shoulder.

I opened my eyes, and looked around. I was outside, laying against a tree, alone. I stood up seeing my brothers shoe in the road and went over to it, seeing it was spattered in blood.

"Tucker?" I looked around wildly, seeing something else laying just off the side of the road, I went over seeing it was Tucker's hoodie. I picked it up, holding it firmly in my hands against my chest." Tucker!" The pained, desperate screams echoed around me, as I circled looking for my brother desperately.

"Tucker!" I sat up, sweat soaking my shirt, running down my chest. I was in the RV, next to Daryl I wasn't out there anymore. I looked over at Sasha, who was sitting up on the bench with her rifle in her lap looking at the door. I got up, going over and sitting next to her.

"You really think he's alive out there?" Sasha spoke softly, but with an edge.

"No, but I want to know for sure." I said simply.