Chapter 22

Ruth-

"Catch me up, what happened to you?" I was sitting on the front porch of my house next to Tucker. Daryl was inside resting.

"That girl Laura, I guess she was working for someone, she woke me, playing it up, like she was scared. Then I was tied up and gagged by a group of guys that came out of nowhere, I lost my dang shoe in the process, even my knife, and my sweater." He said angrily as he looked at his feet," they took me to their community, beating the heck out of me for no reason, gave me a weapon, then shoved me into an arena, Like a gladiator fight or something. I killed the guy, and fought my way out, except I didn't make it out. I ended up being there for several weeks before Laura came and got me out. She felt bad since she didn't expect them to do that to me." He crossed his arms," once she got me out she ditched me, only leaving me with a knife and a gun. I was out there maybe a month before, a guy on a big black chopper came out of nowhere and saved me from a horde that was following me. Turned it was dad." He smiled." Dad had his own set up in a small town, very Walker and people proof."

"Dad became a badass." I laughed.

"He always was, he was just waiting for his moment." He laughed back.

"A lot changed since the last time I saw you, your voice sounds different, your hair is longer, you grew way taller, and you have freaking facial hair now!" I nudged his arm.

"What about you, what happened to you after I disappeared?" He asked, my face straightened and the pain in my chest returned as I thought about that day.

"Um, I woke up, you and Laura were gone. I followed the trail of your stuff, your shoe, your sweater, your knife, your backpack. I hung onto all of it. I wandered around for a week trying to find you, I blamed myself, the whole entire time, for trusting Laura, for letting my guard down." I rubbed my arm." That's when someone found me. They left a lot of scars, then I, I returned the favor, only they don't have to live with it." I furrowed my brows." After that I kept looking for you, I didn't want to give up hope yet, and I started to avoid people, I didn't want anything to do with people, anymore." I sighed." Then close to a year passed, and I had accepted your death. That's when I found the Hilltop, and decided I needed people again, or at least a place to sleep. Turns out they needed my help too, Negan, you know that whole mess, and that's it." I said simply.

"So the no shoes thing." He looked at my cracked, scarred, and because of the thread tattooed feet.

"Those converse I had, wore so thin, it basically felt like I was bare foot. So I ditched them, I found another pair but I never wore them." I explained.

"Your feet though." He was looking at them, they were very roughed up.

"Yeah they've seen some shit." I laughed lightly.

"Hey watch your mouth." I looked up to see my dad coming over to us.

"Hey." I smiled at him," good morning."

"Good morning, I was just doing my morning devotion, it's weird reading from a new bible." He smiled.

"Oh dad I have something for you. Be right back." I went inside and hurried up the stairs to my room, and grabbed my backpack, taking it out side.

"Is that a deer skin back pack?" My dad looked at it in awe.

"Yup, it's my "buck" pack." I smiled.

"Ah, I see what you did there." He smiled back. I opened up my pack and started moving things around until I found it.

"I went back for it, I've had ever since, figured you might want it back." I pulled my dad's raggedy bible out of my pack and handed it to him. He gently held it in his hands, gliding his hand over the cover, and opened it up to the marked spot.