Chapter 35

Ruth-

A few weeks had past since our punishment, everything had healed nicely, just thin itchy scabs now; our stitches had finally been removed. It was nice, because my shirt wasn't catching on them anymore. After the Ruthless attack in the garden, everything had been harvested and ready for winter, that would be rearing its ugly head almost any day now. I was out in the woods, practicing with my bow, I was out of practice that's for sure. I had a target set up, a little above my height, it hung on a tree a few yards away. I actually missed, several times, I was very disappointed in myself. After missing for the fourth time in a row I lost it. I punched a tree, kicked up the dirt, I threw a Ruthless tantrum. After I calmed down, I collected my arrows, and trecked back to Smalltown. Along the way it started to snow, I pulled my beanie on to my head, and zipped my coat, continuing my walk back, probably should've wore boots out here. I mean I could handle wet, but wet and cold, I mean my feet were gonna fall off. I hurried back to Smalltown, where one of the patrolmen was waiting for me to take his shift.

"Sorry I didn't mean to hold you up, I have to grab my boots and I'll be right out." I ran upstairs stuffed my feet into a pair a boots, wrapped my scarf around my face, pulled on my fingerless gloves then ran downstairs quickly hoping onto the horse." Does this mean I'm taking an extra shift tonight?" I said.

"Yup, see ya at sunrise." He smirked as he patted the horse.

I took off to my post, slowing as I got into my area. My dad was very stern with me, any slip ups on my shifts, and I would be pretty severely punished, as you saw; even if I was his daughter, I needed to be the example. So being late to my shift, meant I would be taking an extra shift tonight, that was the punishment the patrolmen chose, only for me though. So a lot of times I was out here longer, because the other patrolmen knew it didn't matter when they took my shifts. It sucked, but hey as long as it kept Ruthless at bay. My horse knew the patrol area very well so to be honest I kind of went on auto pilot most days.

So tonight, the snow was still falling, so it was pretty bright out here for it being night. The moon was reflecting off the snow, making it sparkle and glisten. I skimmed the trees as I rode past them, until I was absolutely certain I saw a figure in the woods. I stopped, and hopped off my horse, I held my bow, and readied an arrow in front of me, ready to shoot whatever was hiding from me. I inched my way into the thick woods, stepping gently, not wanting to make more noise, wearing boots sucked, because they made my feet heavier, and not as easy to control, as if I were barefoot. My ears perked as I heard a tree branch snap, and I skimmed my eyes back and forth through the trees. I then noticed it wasn't just one figure hiding out here it was several. Shit.

"Come out, show yourselves." I spoke into the darkness. Then a flare lit up, a tall man, with a scarred face, and a dark beard stepped out into the open. He whistled a high "yoo-hoo" then a low "yoo-hoo." Then his group stepped into the open. Oh crap.

"Grab 'er." The man spoke, I retaliated by shooting one of the men with my arrow. One man grabbed my arm, and I kicked his knee to the side, then another came over to grab me and I tackled him to the ground. I got in one good punch to the face, then I got stomped in the face with someone's boot, and fell flat to the ground. Now Ruthless was full blown angry.

I rolled on to my back, and kicked the man running at me with both feet. I jumped up, and head butted the next guy that came at me, then I was pounced on by four people at once, they pinned my arms to my sides, and their leader hit me hard in the gut. He hit me so hard I almost puked, drool started to pour out of my mouth. I spit on the ground, lifted my head, and smirked at him.

"That all ya got?" He furrowed his eyebrows at me and gave me a quick jab to the face. I started to laugh, as I brought my head back to its original position," that was a good one, I think you might've actually left a mark." I smiled, I'm sure with a bloodied smile.

"She's crazy boss." One of the men behind him said, and he shushed him.

"Tell, Rick, The Saviors are back and ready for War." He said darkly, he nodded at his men, and as they left every single one of them punched me or kicked me as they walked by. Ruthless laughed as I stumbled to my feet. God this bitch made me look crazy.

"Thanks guys, hope to see ya again." Then I felt it, ah man, I needed to get back to Smalltown, or maybe I should go to the Kingdom, and warn Rick. I limped back to my horse holding my side, wiping blood away from my eye, I grabbed the radio in my horses satchel." Rick." My voice cracked as I fell to my knees." Rick, come in."

"Yeah, this is Eugene." Finally an answer.

"Eugene," I whined," this is Ruth from Smalltown, I need to talk to Rick, now." I breathed hard.

"I'll get him." It was quiet for what felt like an hour, even though I'm sure it was only five minutes.

"This is Rick." He spoke loudly through the radio.

"Rick, the Saviors, their back!" My voice cracked through that whole sentence I basically sounded like a dying animal.

"How do you know?" He spoke.

"They attacked me, and left me with that message." I panted.

"Are you okay?" Concern in his voice.

"I don't know, I can't get up." I moaned.

"How far from Smalltown are you?"

"Uh, I'm at the halfway mark between us." I swallowed blood.

"I'll send someone out for you, try to get a hold of Dominic." Rick ordered.

"'Kay." I said hoarsely, I changed my radio channel," dad, dad... dad." I was starting to black out, I was fighting as hard I could against it.

"Ruth, Ruth?" A voice came over the radio," Ruth?" I could barely press the button as I held the radio to my mouth.

"Dad..." I breathed." Help." That's all I had the energy to say.

"Ruth Ruth, hey, Ruth, answer me!" I completely blacked out.

------

Hey guys,
So don't know if you noticed what was said in that little scene when Ruthless popped up, but it was almost a flashback of when Ruth first showed up. But anyway thank you guys so much for reading!