5 years later

Before the chapter starts I just want to say that if you haven't read 'the dying of the light' then this won't make sense to you. This is after Valkyrie saves Danny from the two crazy dudes. The book stops with Valkyrie opening the door but.... What happens when she opens the door and goes home? Well there is only two chapters left of this book. Wait! Don't look at me like that! There is a sequel but I'm going to write the whole thing before I publish it so it might be a while. I'm sorry if you are sad.... Shut up typical_fanfics! No one is sad! They are probably happy the cringiness is gone. Well....
BYEEE!

"You sure you don't want to meet him?" Valkyrie asked Danny. He smiled and rubbed the back of his neck "no I'm fine. I've seen enough weird stuff for one day. Seeing a living Skelton is just going to throw me off of my game" he said and limped into the sitting room to rest his aching joint's. "Ok. Bye!" She laughed. "See ya Valkyrie" he winked and lay on the sofa. Valkyrie laughed again and went to the door with her suitcase.

She unlocked the door and slowly opened it and then grinned at the man standing in front of her. Skulduggery was leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed. He was wearing a navy blue suit with a matching hat. He hadn't changed a bit. Valkyrie on the other hand had changed quite a bit, her hair was now down by her waist and she had grown so that she was now level with skulduggery's​ eye sockets.

She put her hands on her hips and frowned "what?" He asked. "Have you gained weight?" She asked suspiciously. Skulduggery put a hand on his chest and acted like he was offended "I was hoping you wouldn't notice!" He said dramatically. Valkyrie giggled and then jumped into his arms and held him tightly "I missed you so much!" She whispered. He hugged her tightly back "you're almost tall as me now. If you get any taller I'm going to have to find a new partner" skulduggery's whispered back. She giggled and looked at him "you are such a dope!" She said and kissed his teeth.

Valkyrie slipped into the passengers seat while skulduggery put the suitcase in the boot. When skulduggery got into the car he looked over to Valkyrie and cocked his head "what are you doing?" He asked. Valkyrie was moving the seat forward, backwards, up and down. "I've grown since I last sat in this seat. I need to change it" she said and then sat back as she got the seat perfect. "Ready" she said and skulduggery chuckled and started the car.

"So what's been happening?" She asked. "A lot" he said. "Like what?"
"Tanith and ghastly are engaged"
"Oh my god!"
"Yeah"
"Anything else?"
"Yeah tanith had a baby"
"Oh my god! Why didn't you tell me that first?"
"I forgot"
"How the hell could you forget something like that?"
"I've had a lot on my mind"
"Like what?"
"Like how you just picked up and left one day"
"So we are doing this now huh?"
"Yes Valkyrie we are. I haven't heard from you in five years and you only just texted me yesterday. I thought you were going to be gone for a few days. Or at least a few weeks"
"I told you I had to move away"
"But you didn't tell me where you were going! I searched and searched for you but I couldn't find you! Me! The great skeleton detective couldn't find his girlfriend. I failed. I was so scared I wouldn't be able to find you and I would be left alone" skulduggery said quietly and pulled over to the side of the road. He turned to her "I thought you didn't love me anymore. I was so alone and all I did was search. Everyone at the sanctuary began to worry. I was being driven insane" he said and started to cry.

Skulduggery put his face in his hands and just broke down. He looked worthless and pathetic. Valkyrie got out of the car and ran over to the the drivers side. She opened the door and sat on the skeletons lap "Skully please don't cry! I'm so sorry that I left you and the others. I felt like it was my fault darquesse almost killed everyone. I felt responsible, so I ran away from you guys so I wouldn't hurt you anymore!" Valkyrie cried and skulduggery looked up at her. He pressed his teeth against her lips and she stiffened.

After a few moments of surprise she melted into him and threw her arms around his neck. He pressed onto his collar bone and his façade flowed over his skull. Valkyrie pulled back and smiled "it's you. Like, it's your face" she said and skulduggery smiled. Indeed it was skulduggery's old face. His ginger hair as curly as ever and his bright green eyes sparkled in the sun light. "Yeah. I asked China if she could do it for me. I like looking at the real me and not a bunch of random ones. I also did it because I knew you would like it" he said proudly and Valkyrie giggled.

It was dark when the Bentley had pulled up outside a hotel. Valkyrie had fallen asleep so skulduggery picked her up and put her on his back. He then locked the car with a wave of his hand and walked over to the hotel. He walked over to the desk "hello"
"Good evening sir"
"Can I have a room with a double bed please?"
"Yes of course" said the receptionist. He bowed his head and then turned on his heels and walked into the office.

Valkyrie awoke and yawned "where are we?" She asked as she looked around her surroundings. "We are at a hotel"
"Why?"
"Because it's more comfy than sleeping in a car"
"Do you have the money?"
"Yes. Seeing as I don't need to use money I have plenty of it"
"Ok. Can I get off of your back?"
"Yeah sure" skulduggery said and lowered Valkyrie to the ground and then turned around in time to see the receptionist come back. He placed the key on the counter "I need you to sign here please sir" he said pushing a piece of paper over to skulduggery.

After they had paid, skulduggery and Valkyrie took the elevator up to the 4th floor. "I'm tired" Valkyrie moaned as she leaned against skulduggery with her eyes closed while the elevator rose. "I gathered that" skulduggery chuckled and put and arm around her shoulder and lead her out of the elevator and over to their room.

"Valkyrie, get up" skulduggery said as he shook her softly. She moaned and pulled the cover over her head "no" she muttered. "I will tickle you out of bed" skulduggery said quietly. "Phh yeah right" Valkyrie murmured. But she then burst out laughing because skulduggery had jumped on top of her and began tickling her.

"Ok I'll get up!" She cried through laughing. Skulduggery stopped tickling and cocked his head the way that showed he was smiling "good" he said.

After Valkyrie had showered and dressed they went down to the dinning room. Valkyrie grabbed some toast and an apple and then they went and signed out.

"What's the baby's name?" Valkyrie asked as skulduggery drove. "His name is Nicolas" skulduggery said. "That's so cute. How old is he?" Valkyrie asked quietly. "He is 2 years old" he said. Valkyrie looked down at her lap and sighed "I've missed so much" she whispered. Skulduggery put his free hand on Valkyries hands and stroked it comfortingly "but tanith is going to be so happy to see you and so I everyone else. They love you Val" he said and Valkyrie looked up at him and smiled. "So how are we going to surprise the others?" She asked. Skulduggery chuckled "I have an Idea" he said softly.