gone

Skulduggery had sat next to Valkyries bedside until she finally awoken. He was in a light meditation when he heard his name being called. "Skulduggery?" Valkyrie mumbled. Skulduggery jolted up and looked at her. "Were you sleeping?" She asked in a raspy voice. Skulduggery nodded and stretched "sorry" she said. "No problem i had just fallen asleep anyway" he said and grabbed her hand. "Where are we?" She asked and sat up slowly. "We're in the medical bay in the sanctuary. Do you remember anything?" He asked but she shook her head. "All I remember is standing up in the sitting room and feeling this horrible pain. What caused that?" She asked. Skulduggery just looked down at the floor and didn't say anything. Valkyrie frowned "what happened skulduggery?" She asked again but he still didn't reply. Valkyrie let go of his hand and moved so she was now sitting on her legs.

After a few minutes in silence the door opened and kenspeckle walked in. "Oh thank god Valkyrie you're awake. Are you ok?" He asked and came over and started inspecting her to see if there was any damage. "What's happening? What happened?" She asked and kenspeckle looked up at her with a surprised expression. He then looked over to skulduggery who shook his head "I can't" he said quietly. Valkyrie looked over to him and then back at kenspeckle. "Someone explain! Now!" She said with a worried look. "Valkyrie I'm so sorry"
"About what?"
"I don't know how to explain"
"Well try. Kenspeckle you're scaring me"
"Ok. Well it seems that there was something wrong with your baby"
"What! What's wrong with my baby?"
"You have seemed to have had a miscarriage" kenspeckle said sadly and Valkyrie gasped. She looked over to skulduggery who was now looking at her and she started to cry. Skulduggery shot up and picked up Valkyrie and held her close to his chest. "Shh" he whispered and sat on the bed with her still in his arms. She shook her head and sobbed loudly. He began to rock her and stroke her hair but nothing was working. She just cried and cried in a way that seemed like it would never stop. Kenspeckle walked over and kneeled down in front of them. "I'm so sorry Valkyrie. I bet you would of been an incredible mother" he whispered and then left the room to give them some privacy.

After an hour she has calmed down to a soft crying. By this time skulduggery had changed their position so now they were lying on the bed and he was spooning her. "Skulduggery?" She whispered through deep breaths. "Yes?" He whispered back into her ear which gave her the chills from his soft velvety voice. "Do you think she did it? Do you think she killed her?" Valkyrie asked and turned her body so now their chests were touching. "I'm not sure" he said and tucked a strand of hair back behind her ear. "I'm going to get you a drink" he said and Valkyrie smiled a teary smile and nodded. Skulduggery nodded and slipped out of the bed and walked out of the room.

When skulduggery walked back in with a bottle of water he found the bed empty. All that remained was a note placed on the pillow. He rushed over to it and picked it up. It said:
Skulduggery
I just don't feel like being with anyone right now. I feel like I've lost apart of me. I love you with all my heart but right now I need to be alone. I'll be gone for a little bit but I'll be back. I promise. Wait for me. I just need to think. Don't go finding another girl while I'm gone because when I come back I want a walk in the park with you in the moon light. Please don't think I hate you. It's just something I have to do.
From the girl with the dark hair and eyes you love so much.
Valkyrie xxxx

Skulduggery sat on the bed and reread the note a couple more times and then went out into the corridor and handed the note to ghastly so him and tanith could read it. "What are you going to do?" Asked ghastly after he read the note. "Wait for her" replied skulduggery.