Twenty Nine

Baekhyun's POV

"Then I'll tell you," I murmured under my breath. She remains quiet in her seat as she anticipates the upcoming story. "It's because of my sister".

Few months ago

"Sis! I'm home!" I shouted as soon as I entered my house. Taking off of my shoes. She appeared out of the kitchen with her usual pastel purple apron on. "I've cooked you some of your fav! Come on!" She smiled. Ever since mom and dad divorced, Sis has been taking care of me and let both of us live. Dad went out of the house, leaving us in the house with Mom. Soon after, Mom couldn't handle and remarried with the guy she met, and they decided to moved overseas together and left hometown.

On that quiet night, I remember her face when she pulled her luggage towards the door, the me back then was begging her to not go. Sis was standing behind me as she cries. "Mom! Don't leave us!" I yelled. "Where are you going?!" 

Mom stopped in her track and turned around to look at us. She looked at Sis, before looking at me. "Mom's very sorry", she mumbled under her breath. I was asking Sis to stops her, but she couldn't. She covered her mouth with her palm, looking away. Her cries won't stop. Mom planted a kiss on my forehead before grabbing her luggage and left the house.

All she could say to us was, 'Sorry'. Making us feel worse than ever. She won't gives us excuses, or reason. She left us with a 'sorry'. I cried as I called out to her, begging her to come back. Sis slowly approached me and hug me. Mumbled, "I've tried" to me. She repeated it over and over. Like chanting a spell in her cries. As if she hates herself that she couldn't stops Mom from going, as if she's blaming everything on her.

She was fragile before, in fact, she is fragile but for me, she stays strong. She takes care of me, like a sister, like a mother, and like a father.

She's the only one I have. And I love her so much.

"What did you cooked?" I asked, peeking at the kitchen as I saw many dishes were prepared on the dining table. She giggled. "Don't hesitate to eat. I'll go upstairs for a while. I'll join you after, okay?" She patted my head and headed upstairs after she hang her apron on the hook glued to the wall.

I obeyed and sat on the chair as I looked at the dishes. I decided to wait for her and eat together. I tapped my fingers on the table as I wait for her, wanting to surprise her. "What takes her so long?" I mumbled to no one in particular. I peeked at the stairs as I called for her. No response. My curiosity filled my head, and I climbed up the stairs. "Sis?" I called out for her again as I peeked at the direction of her room.

I stood in front of her room, knocking her door. "Are you in there?" I asked, but silence. "Are you okay? I'm coming in", I said. I slowly twisted the doorknob and opened the door. I can smell the smell of the bookshelf from her room, the smell of the arranged novels on her bookshelf. I stepped inside her room. "Sis?" I peeked inside her room and saw her standing by her desk, her back facing me.

"You're okay?" I asked. She turned around and looked at me, shocked. "Baekhyun-ah.." She murmured my name under her breath. "Are you okay?"

"You shocked me!" She smile. "Why are you still not eating?" She asked me. I told her that I was waiting for her so we could eat together. She showed me a soft smile. "Okay, let's eat", she said. I nodded my head and stepped out of the room. "You really cooked my fav foods, Sis--" I said but then was cut off when I heard a loud sound coming from her room.

"Sis? What happen--" I asked as I smile. But it didn't last long. My eyes grew wide, my breath cut short. 

I stare at the floor. My sis' figure was lying down on the cold floor. "Sis--!" I ran to her side and wrapped her around my arms. Then, I feel something warm. I raised my palm and blood was covering some part of my fingers. "B-blood--" I stuttered, and quickly looked at my unconscious sister. She was holding a handkerchief stained with blood, the edge of her lips are red.