Chapter Thirty.

Dakota Aniston

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Stacey shoves a bunch of clothes into my hands. “Here, try these.” She says, flicking back her red curls. “Go, go, go.” She chants, pushing her hands against my back, forcing me into an open dressing room.

I follow her orders. Ever since my fight with Elijah, I haven’t been up for much. My chest feels heavy, as though a rock is lodged right inside. I haven’t talked to him for two days, since I last told him I didn’t want to hang out with him anymore. It was difficult seeing him at the club and telling myself to stay away, because the only thing I wanted to do was throw myself right at him.

Stacey called me early this morning, and I finally told her that we “broke up” and wanting to comfort me, she forced me to the mall, so we could find new outfits for Sam’s party.

“How do they look?” Stacey called from outside the door, tapping her manicured nails against the door.

“I look like a whore.” I said bluntly, and frowned at myself in the mirror. I tugged on the end of the dress, and then pulled on the top, trying to cover up more of my cleavage.

“Great, that’s exactly the point.”

“To look like a stripper?”

“You’re exaggerating!” She bellowed. She knocks her nails on the door again. “Open up, let me see.”

“Fine.” I grumble, slumping my shoulders as I turn on my heel, clicking open the door.

Stacey gives me a big grin, her ruby lips stretching upward. “Dakota, you look beautiful!”

“I do?” I inquire, cocking my head to the side with my eyebrows furrowed. I contract my ankle, leaning my weight onto one leg.

“Yes, would I lie to you?” Well, maybe. Stacey’s hands reach out, smoothing my hair out over my shoulders. A wicked smile curls her mouth. “And want to know what’s even better? This dress will drive Elijah mad.”

At the sound of Elijah’s name, my heart twirls in my chest. I chew delicately on the inside of my cheek. “It will?” Not that I’m trying to drive him mad or anything. But, it doesn’t hurt to know, right?

“Are you kidding?” Stacey’s eyes go wide. “You’ll drive him wild! He’ll be crawling on his knees back to you.”

My heart jumps again, and I feel my cheeks redden. “If you say so, Stacey.”

“I know so.” She winks. “So, it’s settled. We’re buying this dress and you’ll wear it to the party!”

“Alright.” I mumble. She gives me one last smile, before shooing me back into the dressing room. In there, I take my time pulling my own clothes back on. First my shorts, then my flower printed tank top.

I’m angry with myself. I don’t even want to be here right now, shopping. I want to be in my bed, sleeping until I have to be at work. All I can think about is how Elijah kissed me outside the club and how sure he felt. How determined his kisses were. And how I pushed him away. Again.

But, Elijah was right. I am screwed up.

And for that, I’m not sure I’m ready for whatever it is I’m feeling. The last time I felt this way was with Dave, and I was only fifteen then, but somehow, my feelings for Dave were different. 

“Hey, Dakota?” Stacey interrupts my thoughts, her knuckles scraping over the door. “Can I ask you something?”

“Yeah. What’s up?” I breathe, pushing my bangs out of my eyes as I step out of the dressing room, my dress in one hand and the other clothes in the other.