Chapter Eighteen.

Dakota Aniston

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I think Elijah fell asleep, but I can’t be sure. It only took us ten minutes in the food store, considering we just grabbed random junk food, before we were back home.

We deiced to chill in our room. We were lying side by side, and every so often, if one of us stirred, our arms would brush, unwillingly causing the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up. We were joking around for a while, but as two in the morning rolled around, it got quiet. The whole house was silent and dark, and I suspected Stacey and Ryan went to a club or something, because they haven’t returned home yet.

I want to say something to Elijah, but fearing that he really is asleep, I don’t want to wake him. He was on his side, his arm hefted behind his head. His long eyelashes brushed over his cheekbones, and he breathed softly, his chest rising and falling. I had an urge to curl up beside him, wrap my arms around his torso and just relish in how warm he is.

I was nervous of waking him up, though. But, the longer I thought about it, the more I wanted to be close to him. Swallowing the last of the M&Ms in my mouth, I pushed away the bag. Biting into the inside of my cheek, I gently and quietly moved myself closer to Elijah. My heart was beating erratically against my rib cage, and it was so loud, I feared Elijah could hear it. Forgetting my childish thoughts, I was finally next to him. Slowly, I reached my arms out, linking them around his waist, while my head pressed against his chest.

Just like I thought. Warm and solid. I think I let out a sound that sounded either like a moan or a sigh.

Suddenly, Elijah began to move. My breath clogged in my throat, and my whole body froze. He mumbled something, and let out a soft chuckle. His body moved forward, his hips crashing into mine. I think I moaned again. I can’t be sure. “Dakota?” He mumbled.

So he is awake. Ashamed, from my face all the way to my chest I blushed a deep red. Oh, God, this is so embarrassing. “Um, yeah, s-sorry.” I stuttered. “I was um, I was, cold?” I’m aware of how stupid I sound. My face flushed deeper.

Elijah laughed again, his chest vibrating under my ear. “It’s hot in here.”

I scowled. Fine, if he didn’t want to hold me, then so be it. I guess I was good enough to sleep with during a drunken state, but to be held while sober? I guess not. My stomach twisted as I slid myself away from him. My chest constructed into a deep ache. I turned away from him, sliding myself under the covers and burying my head into the pillow. “Sorry.” I mumbled, my voice muffled.

“Uh, no, it’s alright.” He whispered. “You didn’t need to move.”

At that, I wanted nothing more than to jump on him. What was happening to me? All of this is wrong. But, I can’t stop it. I still can’t even understand how I told him about my parents. No one knows about my family’s money problems; not even Stacey. But, when he asked me, some part of me needed to tell him. I needed to let him know not everything about my life is easy.

“Dakota?” Elijah murmured, breaking me out of my raging thoughts. Hesitantly sliding my eyes to his, my heart stopped at how close he was. If I just leaned forward, I could kiss him. My whole body went hot at the thought.