Last One's Standing

Daryl's pov

I starred widely realizing what I had just said as Mae starred back at me shocked. I knew the girl was drunk, but she wasn't stupid. She wasn't too far gone to forget what I had just said.

"What did you say?" She asked holding onto the counter.

"Nothing." I growled and turned away from her trying to get off the topic.

"Are you saying officer grimes threatened you?" She asked slurring a bit.

Saying nothing, I peeked out the window to the street trying to access our new situation and depending on the booze to get her mind off of the topic. The walkers roaming the streets were all preoccupied so If we left now, we had a good chance of getting back to the bike without trouble.

"Typical" she scoffed.

Turning back from the curtain, I looked at her leaning against the bar, "the one good guy I find and officer grimes ruins it!"

I walked up to her," I ain't a good guy Mae."

"Yes you are! You may not see it but I do. Dale did. Carol does and so do the others. I mean sure ya smacked me upside the face one time, but I deserved that. I was bein a bitch!" She exclaimed.

"Don't mean ya deserve ta be hit" I growled.

"That's beside the point. What happened happened. It's done, it's in the past now and we can't change that. He had no right to tell you that, not one!" She slurred a bit.

"He's just tryin to protect ya." I said while hesitantly looking down to the ground while she looked at me like I was nuts,

"Protect me from what? You? You've been the only one keeping me alive all this time."

My head snapped up and she nodded, "you may think I don't notice it but I do" she said taking a big swig of her drink.

Growing annoyed and uncomfortable with this conversation, I reached out to take the drink from her but she pulled it away out of my grasp,

"Hey get your own"

Growing irritated, I glanced back at the window and saw more walkers flooding the streets. Turning back towards her I watched her as she stumbled trying to walk,

"When I get back to the farm...I'm gonna...I gonna say some stuff....I gonna say some things to officer grimes."

Looking back towards the window, I growled to myself. Walkers were filling the street and there was now way I could get Mae back to the bike with her like this. With her tripping on her feet and she probably wouldn't keep her mouth shut long enough to get her there. Growling, I stormed in front of her and this time successfully got the bottle out of her hand.

"Hey! I was drinking that!" She whined.

"Think ya had enough. Need to board this place up since ain't no way we gonna get out of here tonight with you actin like this." I growled.

"Hey!...I'm fine.." She said trying to walk but immediately slipped having me catch her again.

My body swarmed with goosebumps as she just laughed drunk in my arms. Looking down at her, she smiled widely up at me causing me instantly to become nervous. The effect this girl had on me was more frightening then anything I ever went through in my life. Not my dad. Not my brother. Not walkers. Just her. Without knowing it, I found myself leaning in. She had closed her eyes and started to lean in as well. I knew I wanted to kiss her, but not like this. Not when she's drunk. Pulling away, I walked back towards the window afraid to look back at her. Biting my thumb nervously, I heard her footsteps get closer to me. Standing across from me, I hesitantly looked up at her. She sighed when I didn't say anything and said,