Not the Only One

Neither daryl nor I said anything as I followed behind him. I was happy for the silence. Sure it was awkward, but his words from before kept replaying In my head. If they weren't in Daryl's voice, they were in dads. I watched my feet as I followed behind him so I didn't see him stop causing me to run Into his back. Jumping back in fear he might yell at me again, he just looked at me and then back to what was in front of him. Peering around him, there was an absolutely beautiful pond surrounded by Cherokee roses. It looked completely untouched by the end of the world and seemed like something that should be captured on film and placed in an art book. Stepping onto the dock, I took in all of it's beauty. Daryl stood next to me and starred out at the pond as well. Stealing glances over at the man, my insides hurt worse than before. Here we are in this beautiful place and all my focus was on the fact that daryl doesn't care about me. Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair and felt Daryl's eyes on me. Turning towards him he motioned with his head for me to follow him. Before I could nod he started to walk off the deck and I went behind him. We walked halfway around the pond when he stopped in front of tall grass with the flowers around it. I smiled down remembering when daryl brought one to me when I was hurt. That happiness was soon replaced with sadness again.

"You see it?" He asked.

He startled me at first when he actually said something to me. Confused, I asked,

"See what?"

He nodded down towards the flowers," I'll find her."

Tears brimmed my eyes as I smiled and nodded while looking down at the roses. I missed Sophia so much and I really did need her to be ok.

" Hey, I'm sorry about what happened this morning." Daryl said quietly, but sincerely.

I looked up to him from the flowers and saw how nervous he was about apologizing. It was kinda cute actually,

"You wanted to look for her. I understand...we're ok"

"Don't mean what I said was right." He said nervously biting his thumb.

A nervous smile broke out on my face,"ain't like I've never heard it before"

"Ya shouldn't have." He said.

Shrugging, I wrapped my arms around myself and decided to change the subject,"Why are you so persistent on finding Sophia? This whole time I've wanted to ask you."

"Cause I think she's still out there. Truth is, what else I got to do?" He grunted.

"We'll find her. We will." I smiled.

"What about you? Why do you want to find her so bad?" He asked.

"I'm not the only one with scars" I whispered not wanting to talk about this anymore.

He seemed to get the picture when he didn't press the matter anymore.

"C'mon" he said nodding his head.

I followed behind him as we walked down to the shore. A nervous feeling went through me just being close to water since I couldn't swim. Daryl set his crossbow down and the bag he brought with him as he started to take off his boots.

"What are you doing?"'I asked.

"Ain't just what I'm doin, it's what are we doin." He said as he set his boots down by his stuff and looked back up at me.

I was still confused, "daryl what are ya...." I started to say but things started making sense as i saw his eyes go from me to the water and then back to me again. I started to nervously back up,

"Oh noo daryl I can't"

"Waters about 4ft so you'll still be able to touch." He said completely ignoring my protests.