Chapter 30

Stiles's POV

     "Thanks, Dad," Alex whispered as her eyes started to shut. Her voice was barely audible over the hum of all the machines she was hooked up to, and I wasn't sure that Dad had even heard her. By the look on his face, I knew he heard. Dad's eyes were welling up with tears, and a slight grin was on his face.
     I checked my phone and saw that it was getting late, and I needed coffee to stay awake. The only problem was that I didn't want to leave her. After a few minutes of debating with myself and remembering that Dad and Liam would stay with her, I decided that I would run down to the cafeteria and get some. It would only take a few minutes anyway.
     "I'm going to get coffee. I'll be back in a few," I announced. Dad looked at me and smiled, acknowledging me, but Liam didn't. Liam didn't take his eyes off of Alex, but he slightly nodded, so I know he heard me.
     I stood up from my seat and stretched a little then made my way out of the room and down the hallway. I made a few turns and walked down a flight of stairs before I realized I had no idea where I was going. Thankfully, there was a guy walking towards me that I could ask.
     "Hey, man, do you know where the cafeteria is?" I slightly yawned.
     "Yeah. I was actually just about to go there. I'll show you," he told me with a sad smile.
     "Thanks," I said. "I'm Stiles, by the way."
     "Jordan," he smiled as he stuck out his hand. We shook hands then continued our journey. "So what brought you here, Stiles?" He asked in a respectful voice. We turned left and kept going.
     "My sister. Well, technically not my real sister, but she's like a little sister to me, and I think we're taking her in." I glanced at Jordan, and he nodded, encouraging me to go on. "Her father was abusive, and this last time, it was bad, and he got arrested. She'll be okay though."
     "I'm here for my younger brother. He's only seven, and he's getting his appendix taken out in about an hour," Jordan confessed. "Even though it's not anything major, he still wanted me to be here. I can't blame him though. Our dad left right after he was born, so I'm pretty much his dad now." I nodded. I knew what it felt like loosing a parent, and it's not easy. We kept walking, and I started to feel a little uneasy. As we walked, I saw so many pale, bald kids, limping old people, and people coughing so loud that I could barely hear my own thoughts.
     "How much longer until we get to the cafeteria? I really need some coffee," I muttered.
     "Just down this hallway and turn left," he informed me. Sure enough it was there. "You seem really tired. Here, I'll get your coffee and you sit down. I know what it's like spending a night in the hospital and trying to stay awake." I smiled a thanks at him and sat down at an empty table.
     A minute or two passed, and Jordan came back holding two cups of coffee. He set one down on the table in front of me and took a sip out of the other.
     "Thanks," I told him as I reached for my coffee. Right as I drank it, I noticed how bland it tasted. Hospital coffee sucks.
     A few more minutes passed, and we both finished our coffee.
     "You ready to go?" Jordan asked me. I nodded and stood up. "I'll walk you back to your room. What's the room number?"
     "213B," I replied as we threw our empty cups into the trash.
     He walked a few steps ahead of me, and after walking for only about thirty seconds, I started to get hot and sweat a little. My vision started to blur, so I had to constantly rub my eyes and squint. I stumbled every few steps, and couldn't concentrate on anything. My thoughts were like TV static: they didn't make much sense and started hurting my head after a few minutes.
     All of a sudden, we were in the basement. Jordan turned to me and sneered at me. I tried to push him away, but my muscles felt like jelly.
     "You roofied me," I mumbled before I was plunged into darkness.

Author's Note- hey guys!! I'm sorry it took so long to update. I've been really busy with school and choir and exams. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Stay safe and I love you!