Chapter 14

Stiles's POV

     After we were done, everyone went home, and Lydia took the file and burned it. I was supposed to take Liam home, but his parents weren't home, so I offered to have him stay the night at my house.
     The second I pulled into the driveway, I heard someone screaming. My first thought was Alex. Please don't be Alex. Please don't be Alex. Please don't be Alex.
     I dashed out of the car and practically sprinted to the front door. I grabbed the key from my back pocket and saw Liam come up behind me. He looked paler than usual.
     "You okay?" I asked him. He nodded in response, but I didn't believe him at all. I didn't push it though. I had to get inside.
     I threw the door open and ran inside. Shit. It was Alex. I immediately went to the kitchen, and when I saw her, my heart broke. She was curled up on the ground screaming and crying. I looked back towards Liam, and almost started screaming myself. He was kneeling down on the ground, covering his ears. Tears streamed down his face, and he looked like he was in a lot of pain.
     The thing that caught my eye was the laptop. The word "Reboot" was flashing across the blue screen. I didn't know why, but that must've had something to do with this. I slammed the computer shut and knelt down in front of Alex. I looked back and saw Liam look around and wipe his eyes, but Alex was still curled up, screaming and crying.
     "Alex?" I asked. I slowly peeled her hands away from her ears, and she opened her red, bloodshot eyes.
     "You're alive," she whispered. I nodded. She instantly leapt into my arms and wrapped her thin arms around me. She was shaking so badly that I could feel her tremors in her embrace. She hugged me so tightly that I thought she might never let go.
     "It's okay. I'm alive. I'm here. It's okay. You're okay," I whispered to her as I hugged her. I kept one hand firmly pressed against her back, and the other gently resting on the back of her head. Her face was nuzzled in my t-shirt.
     All of a sudden, she looked up. She inspected my face, and her fingers grazed a bruise on my cheek. She gave me that "I told you not to get hurt" look. Then, her expression changed to something different when she saw Liam standing there.
     Liam was still shaking, and he was still wiping away a few stray tears.
     "A-are you o-okay?" Alex asked him. I smiled a little. Typical Alex.
     "I'm fine," Liam smiled at her. Alex slowly and shakily stood up and made her way over to where Liam was standing.
     "No you're not," she whispered. She shuffled closer and wrapped her arms around him. He seemed shocked, but returned the hug with a smile. His expression quickly changed, and he looked down at Alex.
     "Whoa, you're shaking really bad," Liam exclaimed.
     "So are you," she argued quietly.
     "You guys both need to sleep. We have school in a few hours, remember?" I rolled my eyes. They obviously liked each other, and if Liam hurt her, I would come after him with the rest of the pack behind me.
     "Yeah, I guess you're right," Alex agreed as she let go of Liam.
     "Liam, you're in my room. I think I'll stay with Alex for the night," I told Liam.
     "Stiles, I'm fine," Alex said unconvincingly.
     "Yeah, sure. Now get your asses in bed before you both pass out," I commanded.
     "Night, guys," Liam yawned as he ascended the stairs.
     "G'night," Alex smiled back. The smile didn't reach her eyes though. Something was still on her mind, but it's been a long day for her, so I didn't want to push her on it. She stumbled up the stairs and into her room. I followed close behind and caught her when she tripped a little on the top step. That was when I noticed that she was wearing my jacket. And by "wearing," I mean drowning in. It was gigantic on her, but she still looked small in it.
     Once we got to her room, she stopped and turned to look at me.
    "Stiles," she said, "I'm fine. Really. I just need some time to think, okay?"
     "Fine. I'll be in Dad's room if you need me," I told her. "But," I whispered as quietly as I could, "I know something's up. We'll talk about it tomorrow." Her eyes slightly widened in fear. I didn't know why, though. She didn't have to be afraid of talking about freaking out so much from the reboot. Unless she was hiding something else. Oh well. I was too tired to think about anything else, so I just pulled Alex in for a hug. She hugged me back, and I kissed the top of her head. She pulled out of the hug first and smiled at me. I smiled back at her and stumbled into Dad's room. He had the night shift, and his room was right next to Alex's.
     I practically collapsed onto the bed and fell asleep almost instantly.