› Sixty-One / Still Have Hope ‹

Chapter Sixty-One // {jordan's pov}

I lifted up one of the 'W' people's body and threw it onto the pile. We were going to burn them and bury our own. I was on gate duty soon, but I wanted to be the one that lit these people on fire. They weren't even people. They were like those at Terminus, too far gone.

I watched as some Alexandrians that I didn't catch the names of, threw petrol onto the bodies.

"Alright, that's enough," I muttered making them back off. I lit a match and threw it onto the pile of bodies. The pile lit up into flames. The smell of burning bodies slowly filled the area. I almost gagged at the smell. I turned around quickly, leaving them to monitor the blaze.

I made my way to the front gate. I walked past so many people mourning over friends and maybe even family members that died. It was uncomfortable to see. Especially the bodies that were chopped up.

I arrived at the gate, a few people such as Maggie were talking in a huddled group at the bottom of the gate. I ignored them and climbed up the ladder. I was shocked to see Deanna there. She was looking at a sign that her husband had made. 

"I'm sorry, Deanna. I understand what you're going through," which wasn't a lie, I was -- except we weren't married.

She turned to me frowning, "you still have hope."

"I may never find where he is, you have closure. He died trying to do a good thing, Deanna." I smiled at the woman, she turned around to face Alexandria. I turned too, I could see the smoke rising from where the bodies were being burnt.

I snapped around when I heard faint yelling. A massive load of bodies appeared to be running towards Alexandria. That's when I realised that only one of those were truly alive.

"Open the gates!" I screamed to everyone.

"You still have hope.." Deanna mumbled from beside me, watching the situation.

"Open the goddamn gates! It's Rick!" I screamed as I rushed down the ladder as carefully, but as quickly as I could. I jumped down from the third bottom rung. I sprinted to the gates as they opened it. 

Rick fell just before the gates as he pushed a walker. Without thinking, I ran out, helping him up. I got him up and we ran inside the safety of the walls. Someone slammed the gate closed, keeping the thousands of walker's out. 

I stepped back from Rick, my eyes watered at the sight of him being physically here.

"Oh, Jordan.." he stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me tightly. I sobbed into his chest. He was safe. He was okay.

"Shh, I'm here... I'm here..." Rick whispered, comforting me. The chances of him being alive were getting slimmer and slimmer as time went by, but now he was here, in my arms. By now, everyone had walked away, leaving us.

"You're okay.. You're actually okay," I breathed out deeply, calming myself down. I pulled away from him. I took a good look at him. He wasn't in the best condition. I glanced at his hand.

My eyes widened, "what did you do? Are you scratched!?" I exclaimed, carefully grabbing his hand. He turned his hand over, grabbing my own.

"I just cut myself, I'm sorry everything didn't go to plan... RV broke down.. Some sound drew the walkers away," Rick explained, pinching the bridge of his nose. He was stressed out. I wasn't surprised, so was I. We were surrounded by walkers.