› Nine / Giggles ‹

Chapter Nine // {jordan's pov}

Everyone had gone on a supply run and Rick had asked me to look after Carl and Judith whilst he was gone. I was thrilled, it gave me time to get to know them just that little more.

"Carl!" I shouted from my cell. I could hear his footsteps running through the cell block.

"Yeah?" Carl said holding Judith.

"Ah, I was going to ask if you knew that I was looking after you and Judy," I spoke as I took Judith from him. I poked her little nose and she giggled making me smile.

"Dad told me, so what do you wanna do today?" he asked, looking at Judith.

"Wanna go on a picnic?" I asked half-jokingly. Carl started laughing at my suggestion.

"Alright, Judy will like that," Carl approved before running to get food. I didn't think he'd actually take me seriously. I suppose we could have a less stressful day.

"I want a soda!" I yelled at him.

"Got it!"

›››‹‹‹ {outside}

We set up a blanket on the floor so we can sit down without getting dirty. Judith was giggling uncontrollably about something. I looked up at Carl to see he was making faces at her. He poked his tongue out and pulled at his ears to pretend to be a monkey. Judith poked her tongue out, trying to copy her older brother.

 Judith poked her tongue out, trying to copy her older brother

"She's perfect," I say cheerfully to Carl. He glanced at me and smiled.

"Dad said that about you this morning," he admitted, not taking his gaze off of Judith. I felt my cheeks warm up. Does Carl even approve of this?

"Car-..." Carl cut me off.

"No. It's okay. Judy needs a mother, you're perfect for her," he assured me, finally looking up at me. He smiles reassuringly. 

"You need one to. Someone has to keep you in line," I replied with a wink. Carl laughed at my comment causing Judith to giggle again.

"Someone has the case of the giggles!" I said whilst tickling Judith.

"I stole some strawberries from the farm and some pizza from last night's dinner. Maggie tried to see if she could make it with different ingredients, it was so good. You should've came down to try some," Carl informed.

"I should've," I tell him without really meaning it. I'm glad that I sorted everything out with Daryl and Rick yesterday.

Carl pulled out three pizza slices and put them on three plastic plates before putting a handful of strawberries on each of them. I grabbed a plastic knife to cut up Judith's strawberries and her pizza so she'll be able to eat it herself. She was surprisingly independent.

It's almost as if children growing up in the apocalypse turn out to be better at most tasks and skills. From what I've seen with Judith, it makes sense. Even without proper schooling and teachers. She'll be a strong woman when she's older. She will grow up in this world. Not having to adapt to it like we all did.

I took a bite of my strawberries, they were absolutely delicious.

"I reckon my life has improved since the apocalypse," I said thinking out loud. Carl says something with his mouth full. I chuckle.

"Speak once you've swallowed, kid," I laughed at his stupidity. He swallows it and pokes his tongue out at me before smiling.

"I agree actually. I wouldn't of had you or Judith. I wouldn't have met Daryl, Maggie, Glenn, Hershel, everyone!" He exclaimed. I nodded in agreement.

"My life was boring, my job was my life. It's all I cared about, family wasn't even second on my list," I told him. Carl looks thoughtful for a second.

"My Dad was the same with his career," he said before adding, "he was always on the front line, I'm surprised that he didn't get hurt sooner."

I lean over the food and hug him. He hugs me back, twice as hard.

When we pull away, I could hear the faint rumble of cars. They were back quickly. 

"Carl, pick up Judith, I'll open the gates," I tell him before running towards the gate to meet the two cars and Daryl's bike.

I pull open the gate and they all drive in and park up. Daryl is the first to come over to me.

"Good run?" I asked.

"It was alright," he said scratching his head and then he added, "ye and Rick good?" 

I nodded and smiled brightly. I gave Daryl a hug which he was surprised about and while my head was on his shoulder, I saw Rick hugging Carl and Judith. I smile even more, if that was possible at that stage. Everyone was okay.

"Go see lover boy then," I pull away from Daryl and thank him, before running over to Rick and jumping onto his back.

"Well, hello there," Rick chuckles.

"I've missed you," I whisper into his ear.

"And I've missed you," he whispered back. I jumped back onto the ground and he turned around to face me. I pecked his lips before dragging him back over to Carl and Judy.

"You should join us on our picnic, Dad," Carl said trying to remain serious. I smiled a little causing Judith to giggle.

"She won't stop giggling, I swear," I say looking at her adorable face.

"She's laughing at your face," Carl said playfully. I fake being hurt before we both burst out laughing. Rick looked at us confusedly.

"You're such a child," he pointed out, smiling his signature gorgeous smile.

I rolled my eyes and playfully glared at him.

"Picnic time!" I yelled out, while dragging Carl and Rick back to our little spot.

I sat down on the blanket and patted the spot next to me while looking up at Rick who was holding Judy. He smiled at me before taking a seat. Carl sat across from me.

"My son and my two beautiful girls all together," Rick said smiling softly. I leaned into him, looking up. Rick gently kissed the top of Judith's forehead.

 Rick gently kissed the top of Judith's forehead

Judith started giggling again.