› Twenty-Nine / Happy Pills ‹

Chapter Twenty-Nine // {jordan's pov}

"You didn't wanna be there. That's why I tried to talk to you," Rick explained to Tara while I stood beside him, holding Judith who was currently drifting in and out of sleep. Carl was off talking to Michonne about comic books that they used to love.

Tara nodded to signal Rick to continue, "Glenn told me that you saved his life."

"He saved mine," she sighed, glancing towards the floor for a split second.

"That's how it works with us, right?" Rick said with a chuckle.

"Right." Tara confirmed, before holding her fist out. I grinned at her and Rick fist bumped her before they parted.

Rick turned towards Judy and I.

"Where now?" I questioned, looking into his eyes. He grabbed Judith's hand, holding it carefully. Judith stared up at her Dad looking quite content.

"I don't know. We need to find shelter. Food. Water. I don't think we'll find anything like the prison though," Rick said, removing his hand from Judith's to scratch his beard. It was definitely not a stubble anymore. I quite liked it.

"We should get some concrete under our feet -- a road," I suggested, "head up North until we find a car."

I looked around our a group, noting the amount of us, "maybe more than one car."

Rick smiled and nodded in agreement to my idea.

"Sounds good to me," he replied, pecking my forehead. Rick led me and Judith back over to the rest of the group, who were sitting down under a tree for shade.

"I need to talk to Beth about everything that had happened," I stated, looking up at Rick. He nodded and took Judith out of my arms. A small smile forming on my features as I looked at Rick holding his gorgeous daughter. The sight was one of the few beautiful things left in this world.

I made my way over to Beth who was sat down next to Maggie. Maggie hadn't let her out of her sight. Now that I am thinking of it, neither has Daryl. I mentally noted to talk to Daryl about that later.

I crouched down next to the smiling Beth.

"How?" is all I said with a grin on my face. She giggled.

"I'm guessing you know how I was with Daryl originally?" she questioned. I replied with a small yes.

"We found a graveyard and there was a pretty large house overlooking it. It was weird -- it looked like it was untouched and it was well maintained," she explained, "after a while there was a bark at the door from a dog that we saw earlier. Daryl opened it, expecting the dog.. but it was a horde of walkers. He told me to run and to leave through the window. I did, trusting that he'll be fine. He was fine. But, I wasn't. It was a set-up. These cops of sorts, wannabe post-apocalyptic policemen and women. They fixed me up at the Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta," I gasped causing her to glance up at me to see my expression. Visions of my office desk in Atlanta, Grady was only down the road. We're miles away from that now.

"I eventually escaped, taking one of their cars with me. If I didn't escape they would've made me repay them or something like that. The 'leader,' Dawn, was insane. She couldn't live in this world without people keeping her safe and doing shit for her," Beth explained, sighing. She quickly tied her hair up in a low ponytail.

"Dawn, did you say?" I questioned, frowning a little, trying to think back to my police woman life.

"Yeah, why?" she replied in a curious manner but a look of realisation spread to her facial features.