› Thirty-Two / Team ‹

Chapter Thirty-Two // {jordan's pov -- 8 months before the apocalypse}

Thanksgiving was today.

Basically, the day that I have been dreading for months.

M.O.N.T.H.S

Today, I was heading over to my Mom's house for thanksgiving. Hudson and his girlfriend were also joining us. This would mark the first day in years that we would all come together as a family. Well, they would always be together, minus me and Dad.

Usually, I would always volunteer to work on thanksgiving, whereas my co-workers would do anything to get off on that day. I'm not saying that I didn't volunteer because I did. I was basically begging. My boss told me that I had 'earned' the day off.

So, for this once in a blue moon thanksgiving, my police uniform was hanging up in my closet, ready to be worn tomorrow.

I was currently sitting in my car, outside my Mom's home. I would do anything to be on the front line, right now. A silver ute was parked beside my car, letting me know Hudson and Rosita were already here.

I sighed heavily before opening the car door to let myself out.

I was wearing a maroon cotton long-sleeved shirt, with a black skater skirt. I had put on some black ankle boots to complete the outfit. I was dressed to impress my Mother. My brother knew me too well. I would never wear this.

I walked up to the door, taking in a deep breath.

'I can do this,' I thought to myself.

I rang the doorbell.

I could hear talking inside the house and footsteps walking towards the door. Fuck, I could make a dash to my car now.

The door opened.

Lost my chance.

"Hi, Mom!" I faked a smile. My mother was what she liked to call, 'fancy.' She had bleached her hair blonde and it was styled to be a shoulder length bob. She had originally wanted me to become a doctor. Out of all things. A doctor? She had the stereotypical life set out me, since I was her daughter. I was supposed to go to prom every year in the prettiest dress you could find. The only prom I went to was in year 12 and I just wore an emerald coloured knee-length dress that my mother didn't approve of. When she heard I joined up to become a police officer, she had officially lost contact with me -- until this year, a few months ago.

"Hey, sweetie. Come in," she ushered me inside, closing the door behind me, "your father and Hudson are in the kitchen. Rosita is just in the bathroom."

"Wait? Father?" I questioned, becoming excited about my father actually being here in Atlanta.

"Oh, honey, I forgot to tell you," she laughed, smiling.

Holy shit, this might not be so bad after all. A huge, real grin appeared on my face.

"I remarried."

›››‹‹‹

I sat at the dining table, watching my mother and Rob flirt. He will never be my Dad. He's absolutely disgusting.

Hudson sent weary glances at me. He knew I would snap at any moment. I had always been like that. I'd just snap and lash out at something -- or someone. I stabbed my fork into a piece of turkey, playing with my food, not actually eating it.