› Nineteen / Alive ‹

Chapter Nineteen // {carl's pov}

You tell me, "it gets better, it gets better, in time..."
You say I'll pull myself together, pull it together,
"You'll be fine."
Tell me what the hell do you know,
what do you know?
Tell me how the hell could you know.
How could you know!

I sat on the end of Jordan's bed while she slept. Two hours ago, Glenn and Michonne went out to go find my Dad who is doing some bullshit. He should've been here for everyone and especially her. I was angry at him -- again, for leaving me to deal with this alone. Sometimes, I don't think he realises how much I hurt too.

Jordan surprisingly calmed down a little after her meltdown. Daryl told me that she was a lot worse earlier. I couldn't imagine her that worked up over waking up alone, especially knowing her boyfriend is miles away.

If Dad comes back, I don't know how Jordan would react. She could be completely angry or she might be fine. If she does react badly, I don't know what I'm going to do. Our family was just becoming a proper, normal family but then this guy turns up. Jordan and Dad wouldn't tell me why he was bad, but I could tell just by how protective Jordan became over Judith and myself. He hasn't made an appearance since the shooting.

I glanced over at her sleeping figure. She was truly at peace at the moment. Sometimes, she would furrow her eyebrows or frown. Otherwise, she was peaceful.

I didn't know how long that peace would last for.

"Carl," Daryl whispered from the cell doorway. I looked over at him to see him motioning me over. I jumped off the bed, carefully avoiding Jordan's legs. Once I got up, I looked back at her and mouthed, 'I'll be back,' despite her being asleep, before following Daryl out of the cell.

Daryl had a long stride, so it was hard for me to keep up. Daryl didn't exactly look happy either.

"Yer dad is back from his little hike," he said nonchalantly. I nodded as he spoke.

"What is he like?" I questioned, showing no emotion -- something Daryl was good at. He sideways glanced at me before looking forward, as we walked through the prison hallways to cell block C.

"Uh, nervous, I guess. He ain't talkin' much, dunno really," he explained. I sighed.

We finally made it to our main cell block and I spotted my Dad straight away. He was holding Judith, looking awkward. I narrowed my eyes at him. Daryl was right -- he looked nervous.

"Dad," I called out to him. His blue eyes found mine and he quickly strode over to me, looking slightly more relaxed.

"Carl, I ca-," I cut him off.

"No, don't. She's asleep right now," I said louder than I wanted to. Hershel walked over. He had been caring for Jordan like she was his own daughter.

"He's right, Rick, she really needs to sleep. As soon as she wakes up, you can see her. I am sure she'll ask for you," Hershel said with a small smile. I didn't smile. Why the fuck should I when my Dad left Jordan when she needed him the most? I huffed angrily, making sure my Dad heard. Hershel and my Dad looked down at me, Dad frowning and Hershel looked concerned.

"Why did you leave?" I finally asked. Dad fidgeted in his place before handing Judith off to Beth who was standing behind Hershel.

"Carl, it's really not important right now," he replied, avoiding eye contact.